[NFBV-Announce] What's happenin and zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 01:16:32 UTC 2022

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I hope everyone has had a  phenomenal week! There were even a  few sunny and low pollen days this week. Who’d of thunk it?! Please read on and check out the happenings.

Spotlight On…

Group,

I need to cancel Tuesday night's At Large chapter meeting.  I have a professional development commitment  that will overlap  with the first part of the meeting.  Our next meeting will be Tuesday May 17, when we will discuss the board meeting held a few weeks earlier.  The June and  July meetings were previously announced as being cancelled for our Summer break.

Patrick Johnson, President

At Large Chapter

Braille Buddies, Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings.

Here is the link for both Braille Buddies on Tuesday nights from 7 PM to 9 PM and Braille Study Group on Saturdays from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM.  I'm leading both of them.

https://nypl.zoom.us/j/81824972219?pwd=NDZ3UGR1S3FrSGhsRGN0T2pxVFZjZz09

Meeting ID: 818 2497 2219

Passcode: AH4020

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,81824972219# US (New York)

Enjoy your weekend!

Take care,

Tony May

Hello NFBV Family!

I hope you are all planning to attend the Greater Alexandria Chapter Meeting next Thursday, April 28th at 7:00 p.m.  Here is the Zoom link:

 <https://zoom.us/j/6025022255> https://zoom.us/j/6025022255

Or dial by phone: 646-558-8656,,6025022255#

We will have our annual elections that night.  I invite you to become a voting member of the Greater Alexandria Chapter!  You can pay your annual dues of $5.00 to our PayPal account, NFBVGAC1 at gmail.com <mailto:NFBVGAC1 at gmail.com> .  In the notes section, type "Dues".  To be able to vote at the election on the 28th, please submit your dues to our PayPal account by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26th.

This announcement includes the recipe for the Homemade Italian Dressing!  Chef Regina will be going through this step-by-step during our program!  For your convenience, here is the recipe:

Italian Dressing Recipe

Salad recipes are my favorite way to showcase vibrant, in-season produce – fruits and veggies that are so good on their own that you don’t need to do much to make them into a delicious meal.

Tools Needed:

Measuring cups and spoons

Small knife - cut lemon

Small bowl and whisk

Or a medium mason jar or container with tight fitting lid

Italian Dressing Recipe Ingredients

●     Recipe can be doubled

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or vinegar of choice

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon honey

1 garlic clove, grated salt to taste

black pepper

Optional Ingredients

2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

pinch of red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Instructions

In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. If desired, stir in the cheese.

Alternatively, place all ingredients in a mason jar. Close the lid and shake well until mostly smooth. Your vinaigrette is ready.

Taste and adjust seasonings.

Feel free to add other dried herbs you may have on hand: oregano, basil, thyme

Chef’s Notes

Make this dressing vegan by using maple syrup instead of honey and omitting the optional cheese.

If you don’t enjoy lettuce salads, try this zippy dressing over pasta alads, roasted veggies, whole grains, and more.

Enjoy!

Cooking with Chef Regina - Livestream

Regina Mitchell is a Classically Trained Chef and Hospitality Professional for over 25 years working with elite clients, Forbes Fortune 500 Corporations and as an Entrepreneur. She worked under the  tutelage of Master and Celebrity Chefs nationally and globally: Japan, Scotland, London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, and The French Riviera.

Regina was first introduced to the National Federation of the Blind in 2017 as a National Federation scholarship winner. She currently serves on the National Federation of the Blind of Nevada Board of Directors and as the affiliate’s scholarship chair. She’s a Chef Instructor at Blindconnect Mobility Training and Residential Center’s Culinary Program. Her newest assignment, selected by President Riccobono, as NFB In The Kitchen Group, Chair, which launched October 2021. Regina has been married to her husband Stan for thirty-six years and both reside in Henderson, Nevada.

To read entire Bio and  Media Links:  Braille Monitor January 2022

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2201/bm220111.htm> https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2201/bm220111.htm

Presentation Agenda:

Discuss essential kitchen and safety tools

Organization

●     maintain a clean workspace

●     declutter or put away

Demonstrate Kitchen Skills

●     Pouring liquids

●     Cutting vegetables

●     How to safely use the oven

Demonstrate How to Make Homemade Italian Dressing

It will be an evening filled with learning and fun all wrapped up in one!  Hope you will be there!  Please let me know if you have any questions or need further information.

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Renée F. Valdez, M.A.

Secretary/Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind,

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee

Co-Chair, NFB of Virginia,

Fundraising Committee

Vice President, Northern VA Regional Local Human Rights Committee

(703) 966-0836

All:

Please, please promote the Pampered Chef link.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/party/nfbpotomacchapter

 The bingo party may be over (congratulations to winner Nancy Yeager) but the fund-raiser is not. Last night, Rachel informed us that the time for purchasing is being extended through the end of the month, and we will receive *30* percent, that’s right, thirty percent, of sales which use the link for purchases made. Aside from raising money for our state convention in October, There are many reasons to purchase something: for your own kitchen, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, graduations, and of course, to perhaps donate a door prize to a chapter or affiliate auction, or to the National Convention. We have already raised about $500 toward our upcoming state convention. Please spread the word, and don’t forget to send the link with the word. Send to family, to friends, to groups to which you are a member. Let’s do this.

Christine Faltz Grassman, President, Potomac Chapter

Don’t limit your challenges, challenge your limits -Unknown

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want