[NFBV-Announce] Your Last Chance at Silver BELLS!

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 04:06:59 UTC 2022

The Northern Virginia and Richmond sessions have been successfully
delivered. We have firmly lived up to our promise of helping blind seniors
ages 55 and older achieve new heights of independence through hands-on
exercises, well-rounded discussions, and a huge sense of camaraderie. By all
accounts, they were both a smashing success. Consider these testimonials:

MARYCAROL:  "I was in a great panic.  I had never known anyone totally blind
and did not know how you moved.  People can do these things.  So many
positive attitudes.  I am very encouraged by the teachers and sharing
experiences.  I am very grateful."

PEGGY:  "When I walked in here, I was a wreck.  Everybody had a stick and I
did not. It was intimidating. I was unarmed. After three days of jumping
sticks, I'm not afraid of sticks any more. You taught us skills which we
would have learned eventually the hard way. What you gave to us is that
there's not a person on staff who was a downer. You could not come as a
downer and leave as a downer."

KLAUS:  "I looked on this weekend as a Mount Everest challenge. I wasn't
sure whether I could handle the business of  going between - to and from
locations in a place I didn't know.  It went very well.  I am grateful.
Thank you for the goodies. They were unexpected. I was blown away by the
Braille thing. Another benefit to me:  My wife has dementia. I want to learn
how to build a better support structure, and am getting a better handle on
that. I'm interested in things that will make my life easier. I'm gratified
to hear that Alexa, JAWS and Dragon Speak will give me things to do so.
Amen, brother."

And now, Silver BELLS is hitting the road for the final session. We're
coming to Virginia Beach the weekend of June 9th through the 12th.

Do you live in that region and think you might be interested in
participating? If so, we have already crossed the halfway mark in the
enrollment. This was before the dates were formally announced. Now that we
have solidified the weekend, we anticipate quickly reaching capacity for the
third time. So again, we urge you, please do not wait to register if you
think you have the desire, stamina, and eagerness to be a part of this
wildly successful program.

We're so confident in our numbers that a Meet and Greet almost did not seem
necessary; however, since we held Meet and Greets for the first two
sessions, it seemed only fair to hold one ahead of Virginia Beach as well.
This Meet and Greet will be your final opportunity to hear from participants
who went through the first two sessions, to hear from the instructors, and
to ask all your questions before registering.

When: Monday, May 2 from 7 to 9 PM

Where: Zoom. See login details below.

If you're ready to register, secure your spot now by going to:

https://nfbv.org/register

If you are not ready for Silver BELLS yourself, but know of someone who is,
please help us by sharing the information!

Questions? Please contact our program coordinator, Sandy Halverson, at:
703-400-6890, or via email at: silverbells at nfbv.org.

Here's the Zoom info for the Meet and Greet on May 2. We hope to see you
there!

Zoom Link:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile