[NFBV-Announce] Introducing the GUIDE Program!

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:53:47 UTC 2022

Blind and vision impaired children ages 8-14 (3rd through 8th grade) are
invited to register for an exciting new mentoring program.

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia presents the GUIDE Program!

GUIDE stands for grow, unify, inspire, deliver, and engage. We will address
and embrace these themes throughout the program, as we engage in
discussions, hands-on activities, and games during our virtual sessions
together, one Saturday per month throughout this school year.

The goals of the GUIDE Program are:

. Build confidence.

. Create new friendships.

. Develop positive attitudes about blindness and vision impairment.

Who We Serve

The GUIDE Program is open to all blind and vision impaired students, between
the ages of 8 and 14 or in third-eighth grade, who live in the Virginia
Commonwealth and who have a desire to participate. These students are the
mentees of the program and will be mentored by one or more blind or vision
impaired high school or college aged students.

Mentees between third-fifth grades will meet from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM EST.
Mentees in sixth-eighth grades will meet from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM EST.

Program Coordinator: Ally Kelso

I'm Ally and I live in Burke, Virginia. I'm a senior in high school, who
enjoys singing, performing in theater productions, watching YouTube, and
spending time with family and friends. I serve as the VP of Recruitment on
my school choir's student board and I also participate in Girl Scouts. After
high school, I plan to combine my passions for music and helping others by
pursuing a degree in music therapy. I started losing my vision at age 3 and,
though it has not been easy, I've never let blindness or my genetic
condition, EEC syndrome, stop me from reaching my dreams.

Ally's Why Behind the GUIDE Program

I started the GUIDE Program because I want blind and vision impaired youth
to realize that, through acceptance and hard work, their visual impairment
can become a minor inconvenience. I want both the mentors and mentees to
know that, with the right tools, training, and attitude, they are capable of
doing anything they desire. These youth, regardless of their age, need to
know that they are important, strong, talented individuals who have a
community of other blind and vision impaired people here to support them. If
you're a student, I hope that you will join this program to realize that
blindness does not define you or anybody else!

Our program will have its first session in October and its last session in
May.

First monthly GUIDE program dates will be:

. Saturday October 22

. Saturday, November 19th

. Saturday, December 17 list end

The registration deadline is midnight this Sunday, October 16, however for
late registration reach out to us at

guide at nfbv.org <mailto:guide at nfbv.org> .

Parents, although we are just in high school, college, or the early stages
of adulthood, the GUIDE Program team and the mentors are dedicated and eager
to connect with you, work with you, and put on a successful program for all
participants. Furthermore, all members of our team have completed rigorous
safety training and have been vetted for suitability to work with children.
If you have any additional questions, comments, requests, or concerns
regarding the program, please email:

guide at nfbv.org <mailto:guide at nfbv.org> .

The program is being overseen by adult leaders Rebecca Peek, a licensed
teacher of students with visual impairment and Louise Walch, GUIDE
Coordinator. Both may be reached at the above email: guide at nfbv.org
<mailto:guide at nfbv.org> .

Register at:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ghAMPUdzvzyowHT5sc2eCpV1haUgKbE7fVNtkzGQgRQ