[NFBV-Announce] 2023 VRCBVI Senior Retreat Announcement

Roane, Melody (DBVI) Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov
Mon Apr 17 19:40:40 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

VRCBVI is excited to announce that for the first time, the Senior Retreat, "Live Active, Live Healthy, Live Modern," will be offered twice in 2023.  By offering the senior retreat twice, it is our goal to provide introductory skills of blindness training to more people who can benefit from the program.  If participants would like more in-depth training, we encourage them to apply for the adult program after attending the Senior Retreat.  The first Senior Retreat will take place from Sunday, August 13 through Thursday, August 17, and the second Senior Retreat will take place from Sunday, August 20 through Thursday, August 24.  Please find the attached program flyer for details.  It is also pasted into the body of this e-mail for your convenience.

The Senior Retreat is open to individuals 55 and older on Rehab Teaching caseloads only.  It is not open to individuals who are receiving VR services.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

The text of the flyer is below:

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired ("VRCBVI") Presents "Live Active, Live Healthy, Live Modern"

Two sessions, each five days, for seniors experiencing vision loss + one (a loved one, family member, or friend)

Sunday - Thursday, August 13-17, 2023
OR
Sunday - Thursday, August 20-24, 2023

(Participants will arrive at the VRCBVI dorm Sunday after 4:00 PM, and the program will end on Thursday at 3:00 PM)

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired, 401 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA 23227, phone: (804) 371-3151

Does your vision loss affect your ability to read, get around independently, take care of your home, and enjoy your hobbies?  If so, how can VRCBVI's program help you?  We can help by providing the following services free of charge:

*        Coping with vision loss
*        Daily living skills
*        Independent travel
*        Assistive technology skills such as learning to use iOS devices
*        Diabetes education and training on the use of talking glucometers
*        Nutritional consultation
*        Recreational activities designed to promote a healthy, active lifestyle
*        Additional resources

Coping Skills
In a group setting, we discuss our personal journeys involving loss of vision, loss of independence, inability to do tasks we once did, depression, and reaction of family and friends.  We identify solutions for challenges related to vision loss and develop a network of individuals who share our experiences to create a resource for the future.

Daily Living Skills
Just because your vision is getting worse doesn't mean that you can't still enjoy life.  We can teach you safe cooking and sewing techniques, methods for labeling medications and personal items, money identification, and the use of adaptive tools, i.e., talking clocks, signature guides, etc.

Independent Travel
You can still travel safely and independently. We can teach you techniques for traveling with family and friends with confidence and dignity. These include the use of the long white cane for independent travel and identification purposes so that you can remain active in your community.

Assistive Technology Skills
You will learn the basics of accessing information on the computer using speech software and/or magnification programs, and how to send and receive e-mail communication.  You will also receive an introduction to iOS devices.

Diabetes Education
You will learn techniques and strategies for managing your diabetes independently as a blind or vision-impaired individual.

Nutritional Consultation
You will learn about the benefits of a healthy diet to mind and body.  How do you monitor nutritional information about food if you are blind or vision impaired?

Recreational/Wellness Activities
You will learn how to participate successfully in exercise routines to optimize physical fitness and participate actively in the hobbies and interests you had before vision loss.

The program consists of a diverse group of qualified professionals trained in the field of blindness and low vision.

For information on the application process, call your DBVI Rehabilitation Teacher or Brooke Rogers, VRCBVI Assistant Director for Administration, (804) 371-3338.

Participants must meet the following requirements to attend:

*        Have an open Rehabilitation Teaching case with the Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired.
*        Be an individual who is legally blind or vision impaired.
*        Be age 55 or older.
*        Be able to self-administer all medications and manage medical and personal needs independently (VRCBVI uses no medical staff or personal care attendants for the retreat).
*        Possess physical health, stamina, and functional ability to participate fully in all retreat activities from morning through evening (breakfast starts at 7:30 AM and activities continue throughout the day and sometimes into the evening).
*        Have a strong desire to achieve independence.

Up to fourteen seniors, each allowed an accompanying + one, will be accepted for the retreat.  Deadline for applications is Monday, July 24, 2023, or until the program is full, at which time we will begin a waitlist.

(For individuals who need interpreter services to participate, VRCBVI must receive the request no later than Friday, June 23, 2023.)

Individuals will be notified of their acceptance into the retreat as VRCBVI processes applications.  Preference will be given to those who have not participated in a VRCBVI-sponsored senior retreat.  This means that individuals who have previously attended a VRCBVI-sponsored senior retreat will be notified of their acceptance status after July 24, 2023, the program application deadline.

Come prepared to have fun, learn a lot, and build lifelong networks and friendships.

Melody L. Roane, Director
Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired, Virginia Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired
401 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA  23227
Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov<mailto:Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov>
Phone: (804) 371-3323 | Fax: (804) 371-3092
Facebook: facebook.org/VDBVI<https://www.facebook.com/VDBVI>
LinkedIn: linkedin.com/VDBVI<https://www.linkedin.com/company/virginia-department-for-the-blind-and-vision-impaired>
www.vrcbvi.org<http://www.vdbvi.org/>

[https://www.vdbvi.org/images/logos/DBVISPOT%20-%20corrected%20blue.png]

Notice: This email is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or duplication of this email is expressly prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete the email from your computer, and do not copy or disclose it to anyone else. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable legal privilege and does not constitute an electronic signature or provide consent to contract electronically. Also, given the nature of electronic mail and its potential to carry computer viruses, the Department of the Blind and Vision Impaired and the sender in no way warrant a virus free transmission. You and your organization should use appropriate means to check this email and any attachments for potential viruses and to prevent their execution