[NFBV-Announce] What’s happening and zoom! August 7th

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 20:40:01 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

The start of another sunny summer month.  Enjoy!

Kudos Corner…

Clink your glasses and wave your hats for Christine and Gary Grassman’s  Dragonboat team, Out of Sight Dragons! Read on…

I’m reaching out to relay the exciting news that Gary, Braden, and I, along with the rest of the OUt of Sight Dragons, a blind and visually impaired dragon boating team, will be headed to Italy for the Club Crew World Championships in September, 2024 based on our placing last week at the Club Crew National Championships in Sarasota, Florida. We are ecstatic after paddling hard in a steamy soup of Florida humidity and streaming sun, working around lots of reported lightning, and hot tub-temperature water that provided no relief whatsoever when we got splashed during our 4 200 meter, 4 500 Meter, and two 2K races which took place over three days.

There were only two paradragon teams at the competition, so we garnered significant attention. Braden and Jasmin Bailey were interviewed (Jasmin is also blind and will be representing Team USA for dragon boating in Thailand this August, as co-captain. Tracey Turri-Squires and Gia Cavallero were also selected to be on Team USA this August.)

Here is the link to Jasmin’s and Braden’s interviews.

 <https://fb.watch/m17A8N0XC3/?mibextid=v7YzmG> This team is Outta Sight! Promo at CCNC starring Team USA Paradragons Coach Anne Becker and Team Captain Jasmin Bailey! | By Team USA Paradragons | Facebook

 <https://fb.watch/m17A8N0XC3/?mibextid=v7YzmG> fb.watch

Get perking in the morning and relaxed at night with a fund raiser from our Ches. Bay Chapter!

Support ChesBay with a fundraiser to sell coffee and tea from our local Norfolk Coffee and Tea Company.  Right now we have ground roasted medium blend and Chocolate Raspberry blend coffee for $12.00 a bag and Virginia Blend Orange Pekot Tea 100 count teabags for $8.00.  If interested please contact Mary Durbin at mrdurbin at cox.net <mailto:mrdurbin at cox.net>  or cell phone 757 472-2495 on what method check or zelle.

Thank you.  ChesBay Chapter President, Annie Asher.

Good morning,

I wanted to let you know that we will be holding an introduction to the organized blind movement on Wednesday, August 9 at 8:00 p.m. eastern. These calls, formerly known as our open houses, are designed for people who are curious about the Federation to come and interact with members to learn what we’re all about. Denise, Tarik, and I thought we’d share the invite to this week’s call with you all so that if you want to join in on the conversation, you could do so. The invite information is below. We hope to see you there. Also, feel free to share the meeting info with anyone who might be interested in hearing about the NFB.

Share the following opportunity for non-members to attend the upcoming Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, formerly known as our Open House Gathering calls, scheduled for august 9 at 8:00 p.m., eastern, to learn about what it means to become a member of the National Federation of the Blind. During the one-hour-long open house, hear from active members and leaders on the myths and uncertainties of the Federation. We will discuss membership, philosophy, and purpose. Non-members can contact us at  <mailto:membership at nfb.org> membership at nfb.org, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2401.  <https://zoom.us/j/9540458112> Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement Zoom ID: 954 045 8112

Danielle McCann

Membership Building Coordinator

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314, extension 2401| dmccann at nfb.org <mailto:dmccann at nfb.org>

Spotlight On…

The Grater Williamsburg Chapter will be meeting this Saturday, August 12th from 1 thru 3 PM, instead of the 1st Saturday. . They will meet at their usual place, James City Rec. Center, see below for address. “We moved our meeting to the 2nd Saturday, this month, to attend the Board Meeting” says Bob Meter, President.

Please mark Thursday, August 17 from 6pm – 9pm  on your calendar and plan to join the NFBV Fairfax Chapter to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  See details below.  Be sure to share this invite with your family, friends and networks.  Feel free to use info from this information to promote this event on social media.  A MS-Word document of the event details is also attached for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing you on August 17!

E-mail questions to:

Annette Carr

Fairfax Chapter President

amcarr1 at verizon.net <mailto:amcarr1 at verizon.net>

NFB of Fairfax Celebrates 25 Years!

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Fairfax Chapter and

Rita’s Italian Ice & Frozen Custard of Fairfax

Are partnering together for an evening of fun and Icy Goodness to celebrate the Fairfax Chapter’s 25th Anniversary.

Come to help us celebrate!  Stay for the icey goodness!

Location: Rita’s Italian Ice & Frozen Custard of Fairfax, 10726 Fairfax Blvd, Fairfax, VA 22030

Date: Thursday, August 17, 2023

Time: 6pm – 9pm, 7:30pm, 25th Anniversary recognition

Come in out of the heat and celebrate with us by:

*	Testing your taste buds with the mystery ice flavor.
*	Decoding the ice flavors of the day written in braille.
*	Learning about community resources for those who are blind
*	Of course, enjoying your favorite Rita’s frozen treats.

A portion of all sales will support future Chapter sponsored activities that promote independence and inclusion of people who are blind within the communities where they live, go to school, and work.

Do you have a visual impairment, or know someone with sight loss?  Come to Rita's Italian Ice of Fairfax to learn about community resources and how the National Federation of the Blind can offer support.

The NFB’s mission is to provide opportunities and resources for all members of the community which allow people who are blind to be an active member of society.

Join us for a fun-filled and informative evening that support People who are blind

"Live the Life They Want"

To learn more about the Fairfax Chapter of the NFB:

 <http://www.nfbv.org/chapters-divisions/fairfax/> http://www.nfbv.org/chapters-divisions/fairfax/

To learn more about the NFB visit:

 <http://www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org

For questions about Rita’s Italian Ice & Frozen Custard contact Jacque at 703-272-7373

Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/RitasOfFairfax/> https://www.facebook.com/RitasOfFairfax/

Greetings everyone,

I hope that all of you are having a good summer.  If you live anywhere in Hampton Roads and are receiving service or are interested in the services provided by the Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired (DBVI), this is the meeting to attend!  Our speaker for our next meeting is Ms. Kacie Mcintyre, Regional Manager for the Norfolk Regional Office of DBVI.  This will be a good chance to find out specifically what services DBVI provides and have your questions answered.  The meeting will take place on Saturday, August 19, 2023 from 2:00-3:45 PM both in person at the Mary B. Pretlow Anchor Branch Library, Meeting Room 1, 111 West Ocean View Ave., Norfolk, Virginia 23503.  The room has a capacity of 50 people.  The meeting will also be available via Zoom.  Zoom details are below, in the Chapter information section:

And if that is not enough to bring you to our meeting, we will have the drawing for our Summer Fundraiser, where the winner will receive a basket with beauty products from Bath and Body Works, valued at over $300.  Tickets are $5 for one, $10 for 3, or $20 for 7 tickets.  Get your tickets from any Tidewater Chapter member or you can request them by sending money through Zelle at nfbvtc at gmail.com <mailto:nfbvtc at gmail.com> .

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible.

Warm Regards,

Stewart Prost, President, Tidewater Chapter, NFB of Virginia

Phone: 757-572-6891

Fax: 757-210-7504

Email: sprost82 at gmail.com <mailto:sprost82 at gmail.com>

Here’s how to join our Affiliate’s Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com <mailto:vaescil at gmail.com>

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and George’s Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach, 23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, virtual meetings only.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses the Affiliate’s Zoom

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting: First Saturday of each month

>From 1 to 3 PM at the James City Rec. Center,5301 Long Hill Road, Williamsburg, 23188.

Virtual Meeting Information:

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, Faith Community Church, 657 Harpersville Road, Newport News, 23601

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Uses Affiliate Zoom.

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge, 22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM

Virtual Meeting Information:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955> +13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Seniors Division

Chapter Meeting: Fourth Wednesday the month from 7 PM to 9 PM

Virtual information: Uses Affiliate’s zoom

Never decide you are smart enough. Be wise enough to know you can always learn more. -Unknown

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want