[NFBV-Announce] What's happening and zoom! December 11th

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 22:28:01 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Enjoy your week and smile!

Kudos Corner.

Support our Greater Alexandria Chapter! Purchase a phenomenal cookbook.
Great for Holiday Dinners and an easy way to support one of our chapters.

GUESS WHAT?  I woke up and it was the day after Thanksgiving, and I found
myself right smack on the road to the end of the year!  YIKES!

The great thing is, it is just the right time to purchase your copy of the
Greater Alexandria Chapter's Digital Cookbook - The YUMMY EATS, FESTIVE
TREATS DIGITAL COOKBOOK on sale now at the bargain price of $15!

Here's the story:  During the holiday season of 2022, our Federation family
was busy in the kitchen, cooking all the wonderful traditional appetizers &
dishes, like Baked Brie, Latkes, Brown Rice & Acai Bowl; desserts, featuring
Biscochitos, Arroz con Dulce, Slow Cooker Apple Cobbler (YUM!); and
beverages, such as Wassail, Coquito, and a Chapter favorite, Adult Hot
Chocolate.recipes that connect us to our cultures and our friends and
family!  We were inspired to gather some of our favorites and put them
together in a 37-page festive digital holiday cookbook and make it available
to everyone!

We hope you will all purchase this FANTABULOUS little treasure and try out
every recipe!  Please send your $15 payment to our Zelle account at
<mailto:NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM> NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM.  Please type COOKBOOK and
your email address in the notes.  Once your payment is received, a cookbook
(available in PDF format and WORD) will be sent to your email.  Just in
case, please shoot me an email, alerting me that you purchased a cookbook so
I can be sure you receive it!

If you have any questions or need further information, please reach out to
Renee Valdez,  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com> reneerome at yahoo.com or (703)
966-0836.

We hope you will support the Greater Alexandria Chapter and purchase our
YUMMY EATS, FESTIVE TREATS Holiday Digital Cookbook!  ENJOY!

Renee Valdez

(703) 966-0836

Spotlight on.

Let's party with GAC! Read on and attend, for the fun of it!

'Tis the season to get your Holly Jolly, Y'all!  And The Greater Alexandria
Chapter wants to help with that!  So, bring your HO, HO, HO to our BIGGEST
and BEST Holiday Celebration EVER!!!

    When?         Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

    Where?        No, no, no!  You have to RSVP first.then I will tell you
where we'll be doing the Holiday Jig!  I can share that it is
somewhere in Alexandria!  Ha!

    Cost?           $20 per person paid to the Greater Alexandria Chapter
Zelle account at  <mailto:NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM> NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM on or
before                               Thursday, December 14, 2023!  After you
send in your payment, please send an email to  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com>
reneerome at yahoo.com                         with the names and email
addresses of those who have paid and will be attending so I can provide the
address.                          Also, I NEED TO KNOW IF YOU WILL REQUIRE A
VEGETARIAN MEAL.

So, what do you get for $20 bucks, you ask?

* Yummy food catered by Mission BBQ!

* Drinks! Drinks! Drinks! Served by our very own beautiful bartender, Haley
D!

* Lovely holiday sounds, and some more stuff, played by our very own YO, YO,
YO DJ, Mr. Bryan D!

* Entry in our Whacky Holiday Costume Contest to be judged by three surprise
Celebrity Judges!  And did I say there will be     prizes for the top 3
contenders?  So come dressed in your favorite and most outrageous holiday
costume!  Dress to win!

* Minute-to-Win-it Game involving ping pong balls, tissue boxes, straps.OH
MY!  I won't tell you the name of that game until you     get there.!  And
prizes for that one too!

* White Elephant Gift Exchange!  Please bring a unisex gift (value of $10)
wrapped to put under the tree and be ready to STEAL!      Ho, ho, ho!

WHITE CANE DONATIONS - On a serious note.If you have any old white canes
laying around your house and you don't know what to do with them, please
consider donating them!  Domonique Lawless, the Richmond Chapter President,
is working with an organization in South Africa called YouCane, who have
identified a great need in South Africa for white canes!  They are accepting
donations of white canes in any condition, from slightly used to broken, and
will repair them and send them on to their location in South Africa where
they will be put to good use by people who really need them!  So, just bring
your old white canes with you to our Wacky Holiday Party and we will ship
them all to Domonique!  This is a wonderful way to share the love during
this holiday season!

Our Greater Alexandria Chapter Wacky Holiday Partyt will be an evening of
fun and music and lots of Frolicking, I might add!  So, what are you waiting
for?  RSVP already! Send your money in to our Zelle and get on that NAUGHTY
list!  Ho, ho, ho!

See you there!  I can't wait!

Renee Valdez

(703) 966-0836

It's back, Silver Bells that is. 55 or older? Attend our meet and greet and
learn about an amazing opportunity!

Hello Friends!

In case you haven't heard, there is this really awesome opportunity
available for people who are 55 years and older, who are experiencing vision
loss, live in Virginia, and who have the stamina to embark on an exciting
training opportunity!

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia cordially invites you to
apply for its brand new initiative, Silver BELLS. Up to 60 participants will
come together at one of three weekend retreats scheduled between February
and April to learn valuable skills to help you take charge of this exciting
new chapter in your life.

If this has piqued your interest, then we hope you will join us for a
"virtual" Meet & Greet on Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00
p.m. on Zoom.  You will learn all about Silver BELLS and meet the staff;
meet others who are also experiencing vision loss; and visit with people who
understand.

To join the meeting, simply click on the link below and you will be
connected to the Zoom meeting.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Program
Coordinator, Sandy Halverson, via phone at: (703) 400-6890, or by email at:
<mailto:silverbells at nfbv.org> silverbells at nfbv.org

Here's how to join our Affiliate's Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com <mailto:vaescil at gmail.com>

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George's Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, virtual meetings only.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses the Affiliate's Zoom

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Please contact President, Bob Meter for meeting
information. Phone: 850-755-0181, email: rcmeter at comcast.net
<mailto:rcmeter at comcast.net> .

Virtual Meeting Information:  No virtual access is being offered.

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, Faith
Community Church, 657 Harpersville Road, Newport News, 23601

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Uses Affiliate Zoom.

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Seniors Division

Chapter Meeting: Fourth Wednesday the month from 7 PM to 9 PM

Virtual information: Uses Affiliate's zoom

When the power of love is stronger than the love of power, the world will be
at peace! -Jimi Hendrix

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

Email: jackibruce6 at gmail.com <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com>