[NFBV-Announce] What's happening and zoom

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 03:27:56 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

Time seems to go by so fast! It's the end of January, already, next up
Valentine's Day, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter then we're to the holidays
again. All I can say is live in the moment as much as you can, smile, even
when you're greeted with a frown and most importantly, tell the ones you
love just how much you love and appreciate them. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Kudos Corner.

History And Benefits Of Using A Long White Cane

by John Bailey

Introduction

The long white cane is a tool used by people who are blind or visually
impaired to help them navigate their environment. It has been around for
centuries and has been used in various forms since the 1600s. The cane has
evolved over time and is now more than just a tool for navigation, it is
also a symbol of independence and self-determination for those who use it.

History

The long white cane was first developed in the 1600s as a way to help people
with vision impairments to travel independently. At that time, it was made
of wood and had a metal tip at the end. Over the years, the cane has been
improved and modernized with new materials such as aluminum and fiberglass.
The cane is now much lighter and more durable than its predecessors.

Benefits

The long white cane provides many benefits to those who use it. It helps
them to navigate their environment safely by providing tactile feedback when
they come into contact with objects or obstacles in their path. It also
allows them to travel independently without having to rely on someone else
for assistance. Additionally, the cane can be used as a signal to others
that the user is visually impaired, which can help reduce discrimination or
misunderstanding.

Conclusion

The long white cane has been an invaluable tool for people with vision
impairments for centuries. It provides them with independence, safety, and
dignity while allowing them to navigate their environment with confidence.
The long white cane is more than just a tool; it is a symbol of
self-determination and empowerment for those who use it.

The Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is
dedicated to helping those with vision impairments reach their full
potential. We strive to develop independence, problem solving skills, and a
positive attitude in our members. Our goal is to empower our members to live
their lives to the fullest, and we provide resources and support to help
them do just that.

We offer a variety of programs including job training, mentorship, and
advocacy. We also host events and workshops to help our members stay
connected and informed. Our members are encouraged to take part in
activities that promote self-confidence and self-advocacy.

At the Fairfax Chapter of the NFB, we believe that everyone deserves equal
access to education, employment, recreation, and other opportunities. We are
committed to providing our members with the tools they need to be successful
in whatever endeavors they choose.

For more information about the chapter and our meetings, contact John Bailey
at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com <mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com>

Spotlight On.

Silver Bells: Empowerment Weekends for Blind and Low Vision Seniors

Saturday, February 4th from 1:00 thru 3:00 is the next meet and greet, via
zoom with a sneak peak of what's in store.

If you are, or someone you know is, 55 and older, experiencing vision loss,
live in Virginia, and have the desire to embark on an exciting training
opportunity, please continue reading about Silver Bells.

What is Silver Bells? It's camaraderie in the company of new friends.

It's learning confidence and non-visual techniques in the comfort of a safe
environment.

It's getting answers to your gnawing concerns, about your vision loss,  from
people who get it.

It's you, and us, working side by side to tackle day-to-day independent
living skills such as, personal home management, cell phones and travel in
your neighborhood.

It's games and socializing when we aren't doing the hard work.

And this is only the start of what we hope will be an ongoing partnership.

Join us on Saturday, February 4th from 1 thru 3 PM(registration opens at
12:30 PM)  for a virtual meet and greet and learn about Silver Bells and the
three weekend retreats scheduled in Virginia Beach, from February 23rd thru
26th, Sterling from March 23rd thru 26th, and in Richmond from April 27th
thru 30th. These weekends are provided free of charge to Virginia residents
thanks to a grant from the Virginia Board for the Blind and   the National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia.

The details for accessing the February 4th meet and greet via Zoom or your
telephone are provided below:

Can't make the February 4th meet and greet, reach out to us by Visiting
NFBV.org/Silver Bells for more information or get in touch with our program
coordinator, Sandy Halverson via phone at: 703-400-6890, or by email at:

silverbells at nfbv.org <mailto:silverbells at nfbv.org>  and we can share details
about later events.

Get empowered and be the best you, you ever imagined!

Now that the holiday season is behind us and we are all off to a great start
to our new year.The Greater Alexandria Chapter wants to share our newest
creation with our Federation Family!

Truthfully, the NFBV State Convention of 2022 left our piggy bank rather
empty!  So, in an effort to build our piggy bank up again, we are offering
our YUMMY EATS, FESTIVE TREATS COOKBOOK for sale at a price of $15!

Here's the story:  During the holiday season, our Federation family was busy
in the kitchen, cooking all the wonderful traditional dishes, desserts and
beverages that connect us to our cultures and our friends and family!  We
were inspired to gather some of our favorites and put them together in a
37-page festive holiday cookbook and make it available to everyone!

We hope you will all purchase this FANTABULOUS little treasure and try out
every recipe!  Please send your $15 payment to our Zelle account at
<mailto:NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM> NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM.  Please type COOKBOOK and
your email address in the notes.  Once your payment is received, a cookbook
(in PDF format) will be sent to your email.

If you have any questions or need further information, please reach out to
Renee Valdez,  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com> reneerome at yahoo.com or (703)
966-0836.

We hope you will support the Greater Alexandria Chapter and purchase our
YUMMY EATS, FESTIVE TREATS 2022 Holiday Cookbook!  ENJOY!

Important Meeting Information: The Greater Williamsburg Chapter will meet on
Wednesday, February 15th, instead of the 14th. Please see information below
and join us on the 15th!

Here's how to join our Affiliate's Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Blue Ridge Chapter

Woodrow Berry, President

Home: (434) 293-7631

Lynn heart, Treasurer

Cell: (434) 409-8013

E-mail: lmeheart at yahoo.com

Contact chapter for meeting times.

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George's Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Red Hot & Blue,
4150 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax 22030.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting: Second Tuesday of each month, from 6to 8pm at the Center
Street Grill, 5101 Center Street, Williamsburg 23188. **IMPORTANT!
February's meeting will be on Wednesday, February 15th**

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, My
Neighbor's Pub, 12743 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, 23602.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6025022255

Meeting ID: 602 502 2255

One tap mobile +13017158592,,6025022255 <tel:%20+13017158592,,6025022255>

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM at Ynot
Italian, 1507 Colley Avenue, Norfolk, 23517 (lunch begins at 1 PM).

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

 If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and
become more, you are a leader!-John Quincy Adams

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want