[NFBV-Announce] what's happening and zoom! September 11th

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 17:01:04 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I hope everyone has had a good week. The registration for our 65th annual
Virginia State Convention, Charting our course, navigating together toward
success,  is open!!! Go to NFBV.org/convention to register and be a part of
success, yours and the NFBV’s!

Kudos Corner

Mark your calendars for the next Membership Meeting, October 10th starting
at 7:30,. Way to go John Halverson and the Members who attended. The last
meeting was a roaring success! Keep up the great work Membership. Everyone
is welcome to join these meetings, share your ideas and “Help build the
Federation together.”

Spotlight On

Hello everyone:

We will be meeting at Loyal Order of the Moose September 16, 2023 from 1 PM
to 3 PM. No conference call line option will be given for this chapter
meeting. First hour will be socializing  and for those who want to enjoy a
meal lunch. Second half of the meeting will be our business portion. The
address will be here:

1545 Cardinal Drive, Woodbridge, Virginia 22193

Oscar Montiel.

Prince William Chapter

LADIES, LADIES, LADIES!

The ladies night crew are back!  This Saturday, September 16th, starting at
7 PM, we will have a guest speaker, Yasmeen, she is based in Newport News.

. She is asking to talk with some blind and low vision women for a research
project on skin care needs. You’ll have the opportunity to get in on the
ground floor and help make skin care products accessible for the blind! Grab
your favorite munchie and drink, settle in  and join your BFF’S.

The Ladies Night Crew, Uricka and Corlis

Dear Potomac chapter Members and Friends,

Please consider sending this message to friends and family to invite them to
join us for the October 7wine tasting.

You are cordially invited to join us for a wine tasting event and seminar to
benefit the Potomac Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind.    The
event will fund outreach programs for blind youth, seniors and working age
adults.  We need to know if you can attend by Sunday, October 1, so we can
provide a final count to the organizers. Drop ins that day will not be
accepted. Seating is limited.

The details:

National Federation of the Blind Wine Tasting

Saturday, October 7, 2023

3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Cost:  $50/person.  Please make checks payable to PC-NFB.  Credit cards and
cash are also accepted.

An exciting variety of wines will be offered along with accompaniments of
fine cheeses and chocolate.  Tim Morse, an expert in wine and a
prize-winning wine maker will be explaining the wines.  Each wine will be
presented in a relaxed lecture format with plenty of time to enjoy each
wine, mingle, and socialize with friends.

If you have always wanted to learn more about wine or just wanted to expand
your horizons, this event will be a great time.

Location in Clarendon:

The Lyon Village Community House

1920  N. Highland Street

Arlington, VA  22201

Metro and bus directions can be provided and free parking is available at
the Lyon Village Community House.

The actual entrance to The Lyon Village Community House is located down a
short driveway from Highland Street adjacent to Lyon Village Park. The
nearest cross street is Langston Blvd (Rt. 29) but the driveway entrance is
about a  block from Langston Blvd.

If you need driving directions or have difficulty , you can contact Tracy
Soforenko at 202 285-4595.

Traveling via Metro:

The building is accessible from the Clarendon Metro station on Metro's
Orange & Silver lines. It is a ¾ mile walk down N. Highland Street but you
will want to walk most of the walk on the East side of the street and only
cross to the West side of Highland once you get to Lyon Village Park. . For
those taking Metro, meet at the Clarendon station fare gates at 2:30 PM to
meet a group walking the short walk to the building.  Detailed walking
directions can also be provided if you can't meet at 2:30 by emailing Tracy
Soforenko at

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>

On the day of the event, Tracy can be reached via his mobile phone at 202
285-4595.

Parking directions:

Easy free parking is available at the building.

Someone will be waiting inside the building to greet you and once in the
Lyon Village Community House, you are immediately in the party room.

If you need assistance on the day of the event or if you arrive after 3:15
PM, contact Tracy Soforenko on his mobile phone at 202 285-4595.

To RSVP or ask questions, please contact Tracy Soforenko.

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>

Here’s how to join our Affiliate’s Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com <mailto:vaescil at gmail.com>

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George’s Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, virtual meetings only.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses the Affiliate’s Zoom

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Please contact President, Bob Meter for meeting
information. Phone: 850-755-0181, email: rcmeter at comcast.net.

Virtual Meeting Information:  No virtual access is being offered.

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, Faith
Community Church, 657 Harpersville Road, Newport News, 23601

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Uses Affiliate Zoom.

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Seniors Division

Chapter Meeting: Fourth Wednesday the month from 7 PM to 9 PM

Virtual information: Uses Affiliate’s zoom

 Honest people don’t hide their deeds! -Emily Bronstein

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work
together to help blind people live the lives they want