[NFBV-Announce] Minutes from the August 5, 2023 NFB of Virginia Board meeting

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 00:50:08 UTC 2023

>From Christine Grassman, Recording Secretary, National Federation of the
Blind of Virginia

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com <mailto:cfgrassman at icloud.com>

NFB of Virginia Affiliate Board Meeting Minutes

August 5, 2023 via Affiliate Zoom

Attending: 42

Delegates: 18

President Tracy Soforenko called the meeting to order at 1:00 PM. Christine
Grassman, Recording Secretary, presented the minutes from the May 13 board
meeting, which were taken by Sandy Halverson in Christine's absence.

The report was accepted as amended after the balance date for the
Treasurer's report was amended to April 30. Tracy indicated that we would
dispense with motions to accept and seconds and ask for people to indicate
via raised hand or unmuting if they had questions or opposed adoption of
reports.

Mark Roane, Treasurer, presented the Treasurer's report. As of July 31,
2023, the balance of our general checking account was $22,103.75 and  our
VPAD account balance was $36,357.

Mark Roane reminded chapters that pledges were due by August 31.

Museum of the Blind People's Movement:

Patty Chang joined us to present and to answer questions about the museum.
There will be fully inclusive, highly interactive exhibits. Exhibits will be
modular; there will be in-person and virtual attendance.

The museum will not be merely a library or archive.

The Innovation Gallery will highlight things such as inventions by blind
individuals (cruise control) and how inventions for blind people (scanners)
are now impacting the lives of all in a positive way.

We do not want to borrow money for the museum.

Working with Prime Access Consulting and Thinks Well to create a creative
museum spaces.

Affiliates have the opportunity to pledge over ten years.

Several attendees asked questions regarding how to ensure that if the
affiliate donated money, how to protect against other programs and
initiatives being short-changed. There were also questions about how long
the museum project had been under discussion. Others asked how we are
ensuring inclusivity and whether we are consulting with other disability
organizations . Patty indicated that when members and affiliates donate to
the project, it demonstrates buy-in so that we can apply for grants
elsewhere.

There was a motion for a vote of the delegates to pay $5000 per year for ten
years. The motion carried with 13 votes.

The Board then voted on whether to adopt various policies which were
provided to membership prior to the meeting and were reviewed. These
included the Youth Protection Policy; Whistleblower Policy;  Conflict of
Interest Policy; Records Management policy.

All were accepted; two board members indicated that going forward, the
Whistleblower Policy required a specific process.

Transparency and Accountability: The IRS requires that all donations of $250
or more to a nonprofit must be acknowledged by the recipient.

President Soforenko discussed that the affiliate is registered as a 501(c)3)
organization, but our chapters and divisions are not. As a result, there are
safeguards that are put in place with respect to donations. This is why
donations should be made to the affiliate when chapters have fundraisers;
the affiliate can then donate money back to the chapter for programs and
initiatives.

Because it might look strange if board members are given grants by the
affiliate, going forward they will need to gather receipts and submit them
for reimbursement.

When receiving donations, dues, etc., chapters and divisions can use PayPal,
Square, or Stripe, but may not use Venmo or Cash App, which do not have
sufficient controls in place. President Soforenko also cautioned that
chapters should not use a debit card; they are too risky.

President Soforenko acknowledged the difficulty of running virtual meetings
and acknowledged Jacki and Colin.

Scholarship Committee: Jimmy Morris gave the Scholarship Program report. The
flyer has been sent out via email and is on the NFBV web site. We need to
recruit and have a strong advertising campaign.

Bell Academy: Sandy Halverson gave the report on the Bell Academy for Louise
Walch. 14 children attended to build stronger cane, Braille, and daily
living skills.  it took place over six days and was overseen by Jodi
Nicholson and a small core of volunteers. Highlights included watching
families make connections, post-Bell Academy outreach, and parents
networking with each other.

The cost was $6100, and particular thanks go to the Chesapeake Bay Lions,
and Rusty and Steve Thomas for their generosity.

Silver Bells: Sandy Halverson gave an update on the Silver Bells program. We
have been awarded $100,000 from DBVI; we are awaiting receipt.

There will be a Silver Bells reunion dinner at state convention; more
information is forthcoming.

Project Rise: Joe Orozco provided an update regarding Project RISE. Joe
thanked the employers who provided placements for students, the Halversons
for the use of their home for Project Rise activities, President Soforenko
for his support,  Jacki and Julia for help with coordinating, And Alicia
Hiller for stepping up as the Project Rise team is rebuilt. Treasurer Mark
Roane was

thanked for handling the accounting and billing.

Because Ally Kelso will be attending college, there will be a proposal that
is forthcoming for continuing with the GUIDE program for younger blind
students; there are hopes that younger students will take part in the state
convention.

NFBV State Convention: The convention will take place from November 2-5 at
the Double Tree in Williamsburg, Virginia. The convention will be in person,
and the general sessions and banquet will be streamed on our YouTube
channel. If there is a desire to use the affiliate Zoom for specific
sessions, contact Jacki Bruce no later than September 25. The Communications
team cannot guarantee that they will be able to host such meetings, but they
will make you or a person you designate host of the meeting.

There are various links at the web site related to the convention: a call
for presentations, a list of positions that will assist in creating a smooth
convention: exhibits, sponsors, childcare. Exhibits and childcare will not
occur if we do not find individuals to coordinate these efforts.

Ideas for convention sessions:

President Soforenko asked attendees to weigh in on ideas for convention
topics and activities.

List of State Convention Program Ideas:

* scholarship winners from last year: What path did we help them with?

*  motivational stories. Talk about special interests, community options,
get outside and do what you want.

Blind people accomplishing things and living fully.

Examples of opportunities out there.

*  Using foundations of cane travel with apps to get where you want to go.
Different technologies.

*  Inaccessible documents: workarounds, how to make more accessible;
accessibility in the workplace;  advocacy strategies.

* Transitions: not just from high school to college or college to job, but
one job to another; networking. not just advocacy; when you get there, work
doesn't end.

  * Reference to last state convention's chocolate-tasting, something
similar, light and entertaining

*  Follow-up on skills learned in Silver Bells. planning introduce show
seniors different kinds of things that didn't get to, stuff you didn't know
before, process for this has already begun.

*  Remote exhibits for exhibitors who cannot make it to the convention.

*  seminar for family members to trust the process of cane travel, why we do
what we do when it comes to independent travel.

*  financial seminar: some examples budgeting basics, Social Security, ABLE
accounts.

Discussion ensued about how to collect interest on which would be best
received.

*  skin-care, self-care, wellness, taking time for ourselves; goalball
tournament if space allows.

*  blind caregiver workshop: blind parents, grandparents, etc. panel or
seminar.

* Career readiness workshop.

*  Consider chapter presidents gathering; come together collectively to
discuss chapter growth, sponsorships, community partnerships for revenue and
recruitment.

*  membership seminar, role-playing recruitment.

Also the lawsuit for blind prisoners.

*  A luncheon or get-together for sighted spouses/partners for fellowship
and discussion.

*  Smart Home and smart tech: appliances, apps, etc.

Registration and fees for convention:

Registration will soon be available through our web site. We will once again
be using Brown Paper Tickets, and phone support will be available. Hotel
reservations must be made online or via phone with the hotel. Early
registration will be $20; after the deadline, it will increase to $30.
Friday and Saturday lunches will be $19 each; banquet tickets will be $33.

Tours will be announced.

Auction: Renee Valdez We need items for our auction. Please look for
details. Jackie Brown will be auctioneering.

Last year, the auction raised about $10,000.

Resolutions: Deepa Goraya Send resolutions to resolutions at nfbv.org
<mailto:resolutions at nfbv.org>  or you can ask for assistance drafting.

Membership: John Halverson announced that there will be a Membership meeting
on the Zoom affiliate on August 26 at 3:30.

A membership workshop on Saturday afternoon at convention might involve
role-playing how to recruit members, and discussion on keeping members
engaged.

Communications: Jacki Bruce reported that the Communications team is growing
and is busy, adding shorts on our YouTube channel (Wayne Williams), keeping
our Facebook page updated, and offering a Toolbox Thursday, with tips and
tricks (Michael Kitchens).

Public Outreach and Blind Equality Achievement Month: Stuart suggests
starting to think now about BEAM activities for October. On October 14 at
9:30 AM, via affiliate Zoom, check in to let us know what you are doing that
day or throughout the month. We are encouraging all chapters to get
proclamations from their cities. Use our organization's resources.

There is an organization called Rev Up Virginia which has nine chapters that
are going to focus on voting for people with disabilities. Stuart will be
reaching out to chapter presidents about this.

Fundraising: Renee Valdez Thanked Jacki and Mary, and all who volunteered at
national convention. Tote bags were sold out. Coin holders will be available
for $20 at state convention.

DEI: Renee reports that something big and fun and creative is in the works
for the convention. Stay tuned.

McDonald Fellowship and Jernigan Fund:

Mary Durbin thanked the committee and reported that five individuals
attended the national convention, and she thanked those who volunteered to
mentor the recipients.

VABS: On May 7, the Virginia Association of Blind Students and the Greater
Alexandria Chapter hosted Mosaics and Milkshakes, where people gathered to
make art and enjoy milkshakes.

There are plans in the works for exciting and engaging events for students
at state convention.

We want to focus on younger students and parents of younger students;
parents of younger students have many questions and concerns.

VABS is revamping its membership process, working on having one or two
liaisons for different areas of the state: Northern Virginia, Richmond,
Western, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake.

Parents division: Beth Sellers: Please send an email if you would like t
volunteer to assist with the Tactile Carnival at convention. Parents can
also contact Beth if they have questions about convention.

Senior Division: Patty Droppers At our May meeting, we spoke with Emily
Gibbs of 64 oz. games. We did not have a meeting in June because of the
upcoming convention.

Transportation for convention: Chapter presidents should contact Sandy
Halverson if interested in transportation to the convention; Rodney Neely is
looking into options.

There  was a question about whether there would be chapter and division
reports. Tracy indicated that those typically do not occur in January, May,
or August, but are done at the convention board meeting.

John Scroggs announced the Fairfax Chapter's 25th anniversary celebration at
Rita's Italian Ices and Frozen Custard on August 17 from 6:00 to 8:30, where
the mayor would make remarks and where there would be an opportunity for
discussing resources for blind individuals.

Bob Meador indicated that Amtrak travels to Williamsburg.

There was a motion to adjourn, which was seconded, and the meeting was
adjourned at 3:56 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Christine Faltz Grassman

Recording Secretary