[NFBV-Announce] What's happening and zoom! September 25th

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 20:33:55 UTC 2023

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

One week closer to our State Convention, in Williamsburg! When you register,
you’ll be a part of the greatest gathering of blind people in Virginia,
don’t wait, register now! While you are waiting, read about our Action
Auction and be a part of supporting our Silver Bells Program.

Just in case you have been on another planet as of late...The NFBV STATE
CONVENTION is fast approaching!  That means, the Action Auction is right
around the corner...and THAT means, we need your kind donations to make this
happen and raise lots of money for our State Affiliate!  WHEW!  So...keep
reading to gather all the details and find the link to provide the info on
that wonderful item YOU or your chapter will be donating!  Hee, hee!

>From Renee Valdez and Earl Everett, Fundraising Committee Co-Chairs

The success of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) is
built on the generosity of our members to contribute time, talents, and
money to our movement. However, if we can make fundraising fun, this is even
better.

Our 2023 NFBV Action Auction provides the opportunity to raise funds to
support our NFB of Virginia Silver Bells Program for blind and low vision
seniors. When we donate an item, the proceeds of that item will go directly
to support our Silver Bells Program.

Our 2023 Action Auction will be conducted entirely onsite at the NFBV State
Convention, to be held November 2-5, 2023 in Williamsburg, Virginia!

Here is how it works:

A.   Identify Auction Items

Members identify items to donate which others from across the Commonwealth
or across the country may wish to purchase. Remember, quality over quantity
is important. As the donor of the item, you are responsible for shipping the
item to the individual and paying for the cost of shipment. A glass figurine
that sells for $15 might cost $10 to ship, making it less effective as a
profitable auction item.

These items might come from people’s homes, from businesses within your
community, or may be items made by our members.

1.     Document your exciting Items on our Web Based Form

Every auction item should be documented using the web form found at

 <http://www.nfbv.org/auction> http://www.nfbv.org/auction

The form will ask you for information about the donor, a catchy name for the
item, a detailed text-based description of the item that clearly
communicates the benefits to the purchaser, and both the suggested minimum
price and your guess at the fair market value of the item. All items donated
should be submitted ASAP so that we can provide participants with a periodic
updated listing of available items for auction.  Items will be accepted
onsite.

2.     Review by Auction Team

Each item suggested will be reviewed by our auction team led by auctioneer
Jacki Brown and Fundraising co-chair Renee Valdez. They will determine which
items will be sold through our live auction and which items are more
suitable for a door prize. They are the authorities on this auction and
their decisions are final.

B.  As the auction team acquires new donated items for auction and approve
them to be auctioned off at the State Convention, we will release an updated
listing to be posted in the Announce Listserv for member review.

C.  The live auction will be conducted at various times during the NFBV
State Convention that will be clearly stated on the agenda.  Cash or credit
cards will be accepted. Checks must be approved by designated auction team
members onsite. All sales are final.

Let’s make this a fun and lucrative auction this year as part of our NFBV
State Convention and support our NFBV Silver Bells Program!!  Please get
those auction items in early!

Questions should be directed to Jacki Brown,
<mailto:jacquelinestonebrown at comcast.net> jacquelinestonebrown at comcast.net

Or Renee Valdez,  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com> reneerome at yahoo.com

Renee Valdez

(703) 966-0836

Kudos Corner

Check it out and support the Greater Alexandria Chapter by attending this
fun murder mystery and be a part of changing the face of fashion! Read on

Hello Friend!  Have you heard the news?

The Greater Alexandria is teaming up with IMperfeKtlymade Foundation to put
on this really cool event in October, a FASHION SHOW celebrating low vision
and blind models through fashion!  (FINALLY!  I might be discovered)

So here comes the ASK!

WE NEED MONEY to put on this one-of-a-kind event!

So, here’s our plan

To help us raise money to host this incredible fashion show, The Greater
Alexandria Chapter is putting on a MURDER MYSTERY!  That’s right, a good
‘ole whodunit where you can participate in trying to figure out just who is
the guilty one in the group! Our esteemed actors are working hard to get it
just right
and confuse you as much as they can!

Here’s the story about this exciting event
”A STEAMPUNK MURDER”

The year is 1899. During Queen Victoria’s reign, there have been huge leaps
in scientific and industrial progress. This year alone has seen the maiden
voyage of the White Star Line’s largest cruise ship, the RMS Oceanic and the
British Antarctic Expedition’s voyage into the Antarctic Circle.

Pivotal in government is Tobias Jugg, Minister for Transport and one of the
Empire’s true industrialists. This evening, he has invited the rich, famous
and intellectual to his country home, Jugg Manor, intent on using their
intelligence to forecast the future of the Empire and his own path through
the potential rises and falls of the economy.

Little did he expect that, along with his esteemed guests, he was also
inviting a murderer!

Now, doesn’t THAT sound juicy!?  YOU could be the one to crack this case!!
Here is what you need to know to play KING or QUEEN SLEUTH:

When:             Thursday, September 28, 2023

Time:              7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  (Participants should login and be
ready to go by 6:55 p.m. so you won’t miss a clue!)

Where:           ZOOM ROOM key will be provided a day in advance to those
who successfully RSVP

Cost:              $10

RSVP:             To RSVP for this event, please send your payment to The
Greater Alexandria Chapter Zelle,  <mailto:NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM>
NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM                   before Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Once you have sent your payment to our Zelle Account, please send an email
to  <mailto:RENEEROME at YAHOO.COM> RENEEROME at YAHOO.COM and include the full
names, phone numbers and email addresses for each individual who have paid
and will be participating in this event.

I suggest you muster up your favorite snack and beverage and curl up in
front of your computer in your comfy clothes, put your thinking cap on and
listen for those hidden clues!  No doubt this will be a total blast!  Can’t
wait to see you there!

Questions?  Contact Renee Valdez,  <mailto:reneerome at yahoo.com>
reneerome at yahoo.com

Renee Valdez

(703) 966-0836

Spotlight On

Greetings!

Our September Seniors Division meeting will be held on Wednesday, September
27, at 7 pm over Zoom. Our main topic will be State Convention in
Williamsburg. Zoom info is below. I’m looking forward to seeing you both on
the call and in Williamsburg!

Cordially,

Patty Droppers,

NFBV Seniors Division President

Hello Everyone!

Reminder: Please sign up for Bowl with the Blind on Saturday October 7th. We
have invited members of the Alliance Français-Hampton Roads and Epilepsy
Foundation of VA to join us. The link is below.

https://forms.gle/xf3d2q5PodRRMcM28

Headcount needed by October 5th.

We will be extending our 50/50raffle  through to the last day of State
Convention on November 5th. Link to order is below:

https://forms.gle/zaKWhxhCNeABbr8G9

Thank you for supporting VABS!

Andre Hill

Hello NFBV World!  Our models are practicing...you know, that walking with
the book on their heads thing!  Getting ready for the DOSE OF FASHION
Fashion Show on October 29th!  Oh!  You haven't heard?  Well...you'd better
hurry!  The Early Bird price is only $35 but only through September 30th!
After that, it goes up to $50!  That's right!  But, at any price, this
spectacular B.E.A.M. event will be priceless!  Sol...keep reading to get all
the details!  We hope to see you there!  YES!  YOU!  Hee, hee!

Hello To All Our Friends in the DMV!

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia’s Greater Alexandria
Chapter is shaking it up AGAIN!

So
check this out!

In celebration of October’s B.E.A.M., Blindness Equality Achievement Month,
we are partnering up with this totally awesome and incredible group of
individuals from The IMperfeKtlymade Foundation to host a fantastically
fresh, first of its kind, totally groundbreaking, spectacular event—

“A DOSE OF FASHION”

Celebrating Low Vision & Blind Models Through Fashion

Fashion Show

YES INDEEDY!

This will be unlike any other fashion show on the planet!

You won’t want to miss it!

There will be MUSIC, FOOD, DRINKS, RAFFLES

 and so much MORE

Here is what you need to know to treat yourself to this extravaganza of an
evening:

When:         Sunday, October 29, 2023

Where:        The Garden Alexandria

5380 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite C

Alexandria, VA 22304

Time:          4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Cost:           $35/person - Early Bird Rate – Available until Saturday,
September 30, 2023

$50/person – Regular Rate – Beginning Sunday, October 1, 2023

RSVP:           To RSVP for this event, please send your payment to The
Greater Alexandria Chapter Zelle,
<mailto:NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM> NFBVGAC1 at GMAIL.COM before Friday, October 20,
2023, 11:59 p.m.

Once you have sent your payment to our Zelle Account, please send an email
to  <mailto:RENEEROME at YAHOO.COM> RENEEROME at YAHOO.COM and include the full
names, phone numbers and email addresses for each individual who will be
attending this event.

We are extremely excited to be hosting this one-of-a-kind DOSE OF FASHION,
celebrating

Blindness, Equality and Achievement of our low vision and blind community!

JOIN US FOR A NIGHT OF FASHION AND FUN!

Renee Valdez

(703) 966-0836

Here’s how to join our Affiliate’s Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile

tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter Information:

Eastern Shore Chapter

Althea Pittman

Phone: 757-787-3853

E-mail: vaescil at gmail.com <mailto:vaescil at gmail.com>

Contact the chapter for current meeting times.

Chesapeake Bay Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Saturday from 11 AM to 1:30 PM, at the Gus and
George’s Spaghetti and Steakhouse, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach,
23452.

Virtual Meeting Information: None, in person only.

Fairfax Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Third Thursday from 7 to 8:30 PM, virtual meetings only.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses the Affiliate’s Zoom

Greater Alexandria Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Fourth Thursday of most months from 7 to 9pm.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Greater Williamsburg Chapter

Chapter meeting:  Please contact President, Bob Meter for meeting
information. Phone: 850-755-0181, email: rcmeter at comcast.net
<mailto:rcmeter at comcast.net> .

Virtual Meeting Information:  No virtual access is being offered.

Peninsula Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Saturday of the month from 11:30 to 1 PM, Faith
Community Church, 657 Harpersville Road, Newport News, 23601

Virtual Meeting Information:  Phone 605-475-4825 passcode, 549778#.

Potomac Chapter

Chapter meeting:     Second Wednesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Uses Affiliate Zoom.

Prince William Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month, from 2 to 3PM.

Virtual Meeting Information:   Phone 605-313-5562 passcode, 293383.

We occasionally meet at Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac Town Place, Woodbridge,
22191, follow this weekly announcement to learn when we will be in person.

Richmond Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Fourth Monday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM in the
assembly room of the Administrative Activities Building at VDBI, 401 Azalea
Ave. Richmond 23227.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Tidewater Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 2PM to 3:30PM

Virtual Meeting Information:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3661685508?pwd=a2RwY0o5TWVIa2xBbDBPSEJzL0l2QT09

Meeting ID: 366 168 5508
Passcode: 21211955
One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955>
+13017158592,,3661685508#,,,,*21211955# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Winchester Chapter

Chapter meeting:    Third Saturday of the month from 10 AM to 11:30 AM at
Sollenberger True Value Hardware, 832 Berryville Ave., Winchester, 22601.

Virtual Meeting Information: Uses Affiliate Zoom.

At-Large Chapter

Chapter meeting:   Third Tuesday of the month from 8 PM to 9 PM, August
through May, with a face to face reception held during state convention.

Designed to meet the needs of Virginians who do not live near a local
chapter.

Virtual Meeting Information:  Uses affiliate zoom.

Seniors Division

Chapter Meeting: Fourth Wednesday the month from 7 PM to 9 PM

Virtual information: Uses Affiliate’s zoom

 Friendship is the only cement that will hold the world together. -Woodrow
Wilson

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

RISE/Silver Bells Outreach Coordinator

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work
together to help blind people live the lives they want