[NFBV-Announce] Minutes from the 11/5/2023 NFB of Virginia Business Meeting

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 23:59:10 UTC 2024

>From Christine Grassman, Recording Secretary, National Federation of the
Blind of Virginia

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) Business Meeting Minutes

November 5, 2023

President Tracy Soforenko called the meeting to order at approximately 10:50
AM.

Recording Secretary Christine Grassman read the minutes from the August 5,
2023, affiliate board meeting which was conducted via the affiliate Zoom.

It was moved and seconded that the report of the minutes be accepted. The
motion carried.

Sean McMahon presented the Audit Committee report in delightful and creative
verse.

Mark Roane presented the Treasurer's report, which covered the period from
September 30, 2022, through September 30, 2023.

General Checking ending balance as of 9/30/2023: $104,482.47.

The report also contained comprehensive information regarding credits,
disbursements, restricted funds, and our Endowment Fund.

There was a question regarding when our $5000 per annum payments toward the
Museum of the Blind People's Movement would begin; Mark indicated that the
first payment would be issued in December 2023.

It was moved and seconded to accept the Treasurer's report; the motion
carried.

Resolutions, presented by Deepa Goraya and Stewart Prost:

Resolution 2023-1:

Prescription Medication Labeling: Ask the VA General Assembly to pass laws
requiring prescription labeling in the format/medium of the patient's
choice.

A question was asked regarding whether we had any position on multiple means
of labeling; the answer was that no, we want labeling to be accessible, and
we do not specify. It was moved and seconded that the resolution be adopted,
and the motion carried.

Resolution 2023-2: Electronic Return of Mail-In Ballots

The discussion of this resolution focused on legislation to cover both
Uniform & Overseas Citizen Voters along with blind and print disabled
voters.

It was moved and seconded that the resolution be adopted, and the motion
carried.

Resolution 2023-3: Expediting Eligibility for Seniors for DBVI Services:

Urge DBVI to streamline process between referral and service delivery to
seniors.

Rehab teachers should be encouraged to refer to NFBV for networking with
other blind seniors throughout the commonwealth.

It was moved and seconded that the resolution be adopted; the motion
carried.

Resolution 2023-4: Accessible Traffic Signals:

Demand that local governments work with NFBV to ensure that traffic signals
meet the needs of blind people, who want the same information as our sighted
peers, such as street name where it is safe to cross, and countdown
information.

Also, government entities should work with NFBV on all decisions regarding
crosswalk safety for blind and low vision individuals, including
consideration of both current and emerging technologies.

It was moved and seconded to adopt the resolution; the motion carried.

Resolution 2023-5:  Accessibility of DBVI's Application and Documentation
Process

call upon the DBVI to take immediate steps to make its application process,
documentation, and materials accessible to blind, deaf-blind, and low vision
individuals, including for its blind staff. Staff should be trained in how
to make documentation accessible.

 Materials should be accessible in multiple formats and assistive technology
should be provided to facilitate the application process and access to
documentation and other resources.

It was moved and seconded to adopt; the motion carried.

President Soforenko thanked the Resolutions Committee.

Due to the time constraints, President Soforenko reminded attendees to be on
the lookout for information related to both Richmond and Washington
seminars.

President Soforenko indicated that due to time constraints, committee
reports could not be presented, and would have to be sent after the meeting.

It was announced that our auction raised $8,885.

If individuals were not already on our Virginia Affiliate Announce list,
they could subscribe at NFBNET.org.

  national representative Donald Porterfield offered concluding remarks,

President Soforenko thanked Bob Meter, President of the host chapter, and
all attendees.

The 2024 state convention will occur in Portsmouth.

There was a motion and second to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at
approximately noon.

Respectfully submitted,

Christine Faltz Grassman, Recording Secretary