[NFBV-Blind-Parents] Agenda Recap From Jun Call

Jessica Reed jessicac.kostiw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 17:13:39 UTC 2019

Hey everybody!

Last night we held our June conference call.  As I mentioned As things do in family’s and life, I apologize for the laps in momentum after our engaged March call!  I think last night’s call has put us back on track, so I wanted to briefly recap the call.

We had two guest speakers to address many of the thoughts and questions on the blind parenting legislation we discussed in March.  Kimmy works in governmental affairs at the NFB national center in Baltimore.  She was able to explain what has worked in other states and what has not.  There were two main takeaways
1. Using the media for publicity in spreading the word can in many cases be more damaging then good, unless there is a specific case and family that can withstand the
Scrutiny of public opinion.  With television programs such as “Dining in the Dark” we run the risk of actually turning ill-informed viewers against us.
“I could never raise a child blind!  It’s just not safe!”

2. This does not tie our hands, however.  There are two specific ways you can help today.  First, keep your eyes and ears out for any discrimination case in our state and report it to my self or the group.  Secondly, does anyone have any friends or contacts in either the CP or deaf communities and groups advocating for them?  This touches on the coalition building that Justin spoke of in March.

Joining us on the call was also the NFBV state President Tracy Soforenko.  We discussed the opportunity of holding an informal meet-and-greet cocktail hour after the NFB board meeting on Saturday, August 17th. This would be from 4:00 to 5:00PM.  Let’s take this chit-chat off the phone and computer and get to know one-in-other better.  Again this meeting will be in Arlington, but I would also love to set something similar up in Richmond if there is interest.

So, let’s talk... What do you all think?

Jessica
Sent from my iPhone