[Nfbv-fairfax] Fw:August 15, 2013 Meeting Notes

Wanda Taylor wptaylor13 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 20:30:20 UTC 2013

8/15/13

     We started our meeting at 7:00 PM. we listened to the presidential release. Cathy brought up that www.goodsearch.com, donates a penny to the NFB every time someone searches for something on the site. Beverly gave a treasury report. Our bank was changed to Wells Fargo.

     A motion was passed to have two scholar ships for 2 chapter members to go to the state convention. The members at the meeting decided that one of the scholarships will be set aside for a first timer to attend. Beverly, Cathy, and Don will be on the committee to decide who gets the scholarship and will make a short application for scholar ship applicants to fill out. By the next meeting, a decision will be made on who will be awarded the scholarships.

     By the next meeting a first draft of our member list will be created.

Sandy Haverson from the Potomac Chapter gave a history on the development of the  NFB songs that have been sung at the conventions.  The membership sang along from the braille and large print songs books that were provided.  The songs dealt with unfair wages, airport blues, etc.  Although the songs sung were developed over 20 years ago, they are still appropriate regarding the challenges the blind face  today.  The songs are familiar tunes sung to different words.

Giea obtained braille and large print copies of the Washington Metro transit for Chapter members.  Some members obtained a copy.

Don advised of the Leadership Conference that will take place in the Washington Metropolitan member  area for Chapter committeeand board members located in the Washington DC area.  This includes Northern Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC, and consist of approximately 6  chapters.   The Leadership Conference is schedule for September 21, 2013.   The Leadership committee requested the Fairfax Chapter to provide brunch for the seminar participants.  Chapter membership  concerns were as follows:  number of participants in the seminar, our chapter is one of the smallest in the area and treasury funds cannot support providing continental breakfast at this time.  Don will obtain more information and advise the President, at such time a decision will be made regarding the feasibility of the Leadership committee request.

Don decided to create ID'S for the entire chapter. These will be used for identification when doing chapter things in public. The first will be free and if lost the second one will be $25. The ID's will be available at the next meeting. The next meeting will be held atGlory Days,  3509 Nutley Street Vienna VA. The meeting closed at 9 PM.

     Sincerely,

     Jessica Diaz

 Secretary

Fairfax Chapter