[Nfbv-fairfax] college students can win $25 for helping the NFB get accessible books

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 16:19:15 UTC 2017

From: Andre Hill [mailto:andrehill6188 at gmail.com] Virginia Association of Blind Students

Legislative Committee chair

To maximize our effectiveness in Washington advocating with Congress for the access to Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HE) Act,  we need help from current college students to write a letter in the next few weeks. To incent you to provide a letter, we have  arranging a drawing where you can win a $25 prize.

We adjusted the deadline to ensure students can help us advocate for this important work. The letter needs to explain your interactions with accessing educational and other related materials whether it is positive or negative so we can share these letters with Congress.

These letters are very important because it allows YOUR legislator to hear directly from you about the challenges you are encountering at your College or University. If you haven't had any challenges in school and everything is doing well so far for you, that is wonderful write a letter explaining that because that equally as important.

We have made significant changes in the world of disability rights and many of those changes started with letters from parents, teachers, advocates and especially STUDENTS just like you who told your stories and let your voices be heard. Each semester, more and more students are facing the future unprepared because of inaccessible materials in colleges and universities. This must stop now!! The future is ours to shape and mold but we must do it together and I am asking for your help.

As you know, we are raffling off a $25 gift card. Any student who sends us a letter will be placed in a drawing to win that gift card. Only one letter per person. We are extending the deadline: ALL letters MUST BE turned in by January 5, 2018 at 11:59pm.

I strongly ask that you take some time out of your holiday break and please write your letter. If you need help feel free to contact me or President Parsons, we will be glad to assist you.

Yours Sincerely,

Andre' E. Hill

-Chair, Legislative Committee

Virginia Association of Blind Students

National Federation of the Blind

-Member- Planning Activities Committee & Alumni Advisory Council Maryland Youth Leadership Forum

-Student Member

Electronic Information & Technology Advisory Board

Tidewater Community College

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."-Rosalía de Castro

NFBV-Announce at nfbnet.org<mailto:NFBV-Announce at nfbnet.org>

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnfbnet.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fnfbv-announce_nfbnet.org&data=02%7C01%7C%7C6ab34c418f78412531fb08d541150e3d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636486481046699453&sdata=dL5pKLDjn8yeYkKhgowIZeWV39zkfDBSe5Bqqkq572g%3D&reserved=0