[Nfbv-fairfax] Notes from the networking for blind people program at Washington Seminar

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:04:38 UTC 2017

Power Networking for Blind People (And Everyone Else)

Can a blind person be as effective at networking as their sighted counterparts? Of course, the answer is a resounding 'Yes'. Here are some power networking tips everyone can use.

Last Sunday, at Washington Seminar,  I attended a networking program hosted by the Potomac Chapter for professionals where Mary Crane was the speaker. She spoke for over an hour outlining her many tips for how to become a more effective (dare I say power) networker.

I have my own business and I have read my share of boring business books that talked about the how and why networking is so important. Never have I heard someone make the topic so informative as well as entertaining.

In this email, I will identify 10 rules I drew out of Mary's presentation. And by the way, they are not just for the vision impaired! They are for anyone who wants to get the most out of professional business encounters.

Here are Mary Crane's Rules of Engagement

Rule #1: When introducing yourself, start by saying your name and then follow it with a very short description of what you do. For example, Mary says, "My name is Mary Crane and I teach young lawyers how to be professional". Now, people know your name and what you do and can ask informed questions.

Rule #2: Make yourself memorable. For example, if you have an unusual name, make sure you say it to everyone. Then, you will be remembered as the person who has that weird last name. Or, if you are like me with a very generic name, you can Wear something distinctive. Here, standing out in someone's memory is a good thing.

Rule #3: Shake hands properly. Always give a firm handshake. In order to do that, when extending your hand, make sure your arm is parallel to the ground. This will help make a firm hand shake. If you reach up at an angle to shake hands, your grip will be weaker and this can send the wrong message.

Rule #4: Hesitate one or two seconds before extending your arm for a hand shake. Men automatically shake hands with each other. However, when introducing yourself to a woman, it is her choice whether or not to shake. Give her a chance to reach out first before reaching out with yours. If she doesn't reach, your hands should remain on your side of the conversation.

Rule #5: Be aware of the protocol for giving introductions. In general, the most important person in the group is the one that gets introduced to. For example, a junior partner in a company and a senior partner need to be introduced to each other. You say, "Mr. Senior Partner, please let me introduce you to Junior Partner". If the senior partner is surrounded by several junior partners, you say the same thing, introducing the senior partner to each junior partner in turn.

Rule #6: Make a goal for each networking event you attend. Having a goal makes these events more productive. You will know whom to talk to and what about. A random goal makes for mixed results.

Rule #7: Do your homework prior to the event. A day or so before the event, request from the networking event host a list of attendees and their contact information. Use this intelligence to identify the people you want to meet. Plus, it allows you to do a bit of research prior to the event about the people you want to meet.

Rule #7: Attend events with a full stomach. Talking with your mouth full or with food particles on your hands and clothes sends a bad message. Eat prior to the event and leave the snacks on the buffet table. You are there to build your business.

Rule #8: Always carry a drink in the hand you don't shake with. Holding a drink gives your hands something to do. It is unsightly for a man to keep his hands in his pockets or for a woman to hold her hands behind her back. It makes you look awkward and unapproachable.

Rule #9: Arrive early. Get there early to familiarize yourself with the networking event room layout. This also gives you time to talk to the people working registration if you may need assistance with anything.

Rule #10: Always thank the host. It is always important to follow-up with people you meet at a networking event as soon as possible. It is also important to thank the event hosts too. Send them a short business style email letting them know how much you appreciated the opportunity to attend.

Much of business is based on relationships. Attending networking events is an excellent way to meet the people you need to grow your business or career. Getting the most out of each event just requires a plan. Take the above ideas and implement your plan at your next networking event.

Did I miss anything? I am sure I did. Share what I missed with the rest of your chapters and we can all become power networkers.

John Bailey
John_bailey17 at hotmail.com<mailto:John_bailey17 at hotmail.com>
Fairfax Chapter
703.994.2040