[Nfbv-fairfax] Our 2017 state convention: there are things you'll like alot

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 22:01:11 UTC 2017

The 2017 NFB of Virginia Convention agenda is coming together.  This convention highlight message focuses on topics for working age adults.

Working age adults will benefit from a remarkable set of programs,

including:

Friday Afternoon:

Living the Collaborative Life You Want - How Blind People Strategize to Work in a Visually Oriented Workplace:  This year's NFBV 2017 Friday technology seminar will focus on how blind people effectively collaborate in the workplace, be it remote, virtual or face-to-face with their peers. We will have an interactive and panel discussion about the technology and alternative techniques used by blind professionals to enhance their productivity on the job. In addition, participants will get the opportunity to apply the skills discussed in an interactive collaboration exercise.

Eyes on You: Dress, Connect, Impress - Increasing the Social and the Professional You by Maximizing your Wardrobe Potential, Cultivating Relationships, and Leaving an Everlasting Impression:  This Friday afternoon seminar will focus on how you present yourself, both professionally and personally, to achieve your goals, promote your brand, and make a strong impression on others.

Winning Them Over with Professionalism and Poise - An Etiquette Dinner:

You are cordially invited to attend the inaugural Etiquette Dinner presented by the NFB of Virginia on Friday evening. At this dinner, you will be educated on the ins and outs of appropriate etiquette in both professional and social dining settings. From knowing which fork to use, to how much to tip, and even appropriate dinner conversation. These are just a few of the things that will be discussed. There will also be an "Ask Ms. Manners"

portion at the end. For this portion of the evening, you will have the opportunity to anonymously ask those burning questions that you may be too afraid or embarrassed to ask out loud. Simply write down your question in either braille or large print, bring it with you to dinner, and get the answers you seek! Registration is limited, so pre-register to secure your seat. A limited menu will be defined from the Westin's Blue Fire Grill and participants will be responsible for paying for their menu selections.  The dress is business casual. Out of respect for all participants and our presenters, you are expected to arrive promptly. This is going to be a wonderful event, and well worth your time.  The techniques you learn at this dinner are sure to add a finishing touch of class to your business persona and make you that much more desirable within the job arena. Remember you don't get a second chance at a first impression. So, let's learn and grow together!

Upward Mobility Lunch: One of our engaging Saturday lunch sessions will focus on individuals who are early in their career and trying to grow to move up the employment ladder. Whether you are a young professional, seeking to change careers, or trying to figure out how to find and partake of new opportunities, join us to connect and discover ideas for your future.

Getting the Job Done - Advancing Your Job/Career Prospects: Our Saturday afternoon career workshop will focus on helping you get and grow on the job.

Whether you are a job seeker, a new employee, or someone trying to advance in the evolving workplace, this dynamic workshop will provide you the skills to navigate with greater confidence. We will combine great presentations, interactive sessions and the opportunity to learn from our peers to help you succeed. This year's seminar will focus on self-reliance, private sector solutions, and charting your own path. Key areas of focus will include resume and cover letter critique, mock interviews, overcoming obstacles in the workplace, and networking best practices.

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Convention combines excellent networking with positive blind role models, fellowship with old and new friends across the Commonwealth, and some of the best presentations on topics important to the blind of Virginia

Details on convention registration and hotel reservations can be found at:

http://www.nfbv.org/convention/

Register and book your hotel reservation today.

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com<mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com> <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>