[Nfbv-fairfax] FX Chapter meeting Jan. 18. Let's talk about ensuring a bright future for our blind youth

Cathy Schroeder cathy at sks.com
Wed Jan 17 00:42:58 UTC 2018

What is Project RISE and why is it so important?

NFBV Project RISE (Resilience, Independence, Self-Advocacy, Employment)   is
a program spearheaded by our state affiliate. Our success will be used  as a
template for future Project RISEs by the rest of the country. RISE enables
young adults to develop confidence, a positive attitude, and success skills
that will enable them to have the lives they want.

To introduce us to Project RISE and its import to our young people will be
Katherine Webster. She is not only a leader in our state, she is also a
leader at the national level as President of the NFB's Blind Student
Division.

Katherine will describe how the NFBV is blazing the way in preparing blind
youth for success in their careers and education.

This will also be an opportunity for our members to ask Katherine about
other issues facing students both locally and nationally.

Chapter Elections Scheduled

At our January 18 meeting, we will be holding chapter officer elections. The
positions are:

President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and two board member
positions. If you have questions about any of the positions or what their
responsibilities are, please email John at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
<mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com> .

Holiday Party Was A Great Success

Again, the chapter would like to thank Cathy and Fred Schroeder and their
family for allowing us to use their home for our annual holiday party.

Turnout was awesome and so were the gifts from the Secret Santa gift
exchange. Among the most popular gifts were wine, cookies, and gift
certificates. We are already looking forward to next year's event.

Our Thursday, January 18 meeting information

Red Hot and Blue

4150 Chain Bridge Rd,

Fairfax, VA

When:

6:30 pm (order dinner) till 8:30 PM

Thursday night in the meeting room at the top of the stairs to the left.

Want more info? Contact John Bailey at

john_bailey17 at hotmail.com <mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com>

or  via phone at 703-994-2040

P.S. On Thursday, we will be updating you on our efforts at Virginia's
General Assembly advocating for you