[Nfbv-fairfax] Fairfax Chapter of the NFB February 21, 2019 Meeting

amcarr1 at verizon.net amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 16 19:09:17 UTC 2019

The Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind will be meeting
on Thursday, February 21, 2019 from 7:00pm - 8:30pm.  Those wanting to eat
dinner can plan to arrive between 6:00pm - 6:30pm.  The meeting location is:

Red Hot and Blue

4150 Chain Bridge Rd,

Fairfax, VA

703-218-6989

(Corner of Chain Bridge Road & Judicial Drive)

We meet in the Meeting Room at the top of the stairs to the left.

For additional information, contact Annette Carr, amcarr1 at verizon.net
<mailto:amcarr1 at verizon.net> , 703-915-2837.

Agenda:

*	Roll Call of Board members
*	Membership introductions
*	Guest introductions
*	NFB Pledge (See below)
*	Secretary's Report

*	Approval of minutes - (See Below)

*	 Treasurer's Report
*	President's Report

*	Cake Walk
*	Richmond & Washington Seminars

*	National Office Presidential Release
*	Old Business
*	New Business

*	Audit - Joy
*	Discussion of committee creation (Membership, Communications, Fund
raising) - Annette
*	Discussion of future meeting programs - Annette
*	Discussion of future activities - Annette

*	Announcements & final comments
*	Adjournment

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution

Minutes of Fairfax Chapter Meeting

January 17, 2019

*	The meeting began at 7:06.
*	The meeting was held via conference call due to bad weather.
*	Board Roll Call: John Bailey, Annette Carr, Bobbie Cohen, Joy
Relton, Jay Burke, Tom Leopold, Ashley Bramlett and Jonathan Cohn

Notes:

*	Due to the weather and needing to hold the meeting via conference
call, we decided that everyone present at the meeting would be held on the
honor system for paying their dues. Therefore, all present were eligible to
vote.

Elections

*	In order to be eligible to be an officer or a board member in the
Fairfax chapter of the NFBV, you should have participated in previous
meetings and events and be a member in good standing. If you are elected to
a position on the board, you are expected to continue to be involved by
attending general and board meetings.
*	John Bailey facilitated the elections.
*	The proposed slate of officers included

*	Annette Carr, Roberta Cohen, Joy, Relton, and Rodney Neely.  All of
these people were elected to the following offices:
*	President-Annette Car;
*	Vice-president-Bobbie Cohen;
*	Treasurer-Joy Relton
*	Secretary- Rodney Neely
*	Jay Burk and Jonathan Cohn were elected as members of the board of
directors.

*	The following people were elected as delegates:  Delegate-Annette
Car and alternate delegate-Bobbie Cohen.

Richmond Seminar - Will be held January 20 through 22.  The purpose is to
encourage members of the NFBV to visit delegates and state senators in
person.  Issues being discussed:

*	Obtaining more funding for the VA Department of the Blind and
Visually Impaired
*	accessible banking.

Washington Seminar:  Will occur from Sunday, January 27 through Thursday,
January 31, 2019. issues are:

*	2019 Access Technology Affordability Act,
*	2019 Accessibility and Independence through Nonvisual Access, and
*	2019 Disability Employment.

Cake Walk:

*	The cake walk will occur at the Fairfax City Chocolate Lovers
festival from 1:00 to 2:00 PM on February 2, 2019.  The cake walk is
outdoors near the fountain next to old town hall.
*	We are going to sponsor the cake walk for an hour.  This is not a
fund-raiser.  It is a publicity event to promote our Chapter.  We are
working the cake walk from 1:00 to 2:00.
*	We have to bring our own music-plug into their speakers.  Rodney
will arrange a music play list, and Bobbie will reach out to Andrew to see
if he is willing to play his keyboard.
*	We need to donate at least 12 cakes.  They can be cakes, cupcakes,
and cookies.  They need to be wrapped and visible.  The activity goes
quickly.  Contact Bobbie if you are able to donate a cake on the day of the
event.
*	Joy Relton volunteered to take names of persons wishing to
volunteer.
*	Cake requirements:

*	Could be cake, cupcakes, cookies, other bake goods, etc. Any flavor
*	Homemade or store bought
*	Any size or shape.  9 by 13 is probably the largest.
*	Must be securely wrapped in a way that will allow winners to see the
cake.
*	Although not suggested by event coordinators, Annette suggests
adding a note to the outside of the cake about ingredients.

*	We are going to tape information about our chapter meetings, as well
as attach a braille alphabet card to the cakes.  This is a way to promote
our chapter and the NFB to the community.  We will also have this
information available to hand out.
*	We need to bring our own braille numbers to use during the cake
walk.  We need to have numbers-from 1-20.  Joy will make these.
*	We need some help to bring people from University and Main and walk
back to the location of the cake walk.  Jay volunteered to help with this.
We will need a few more people to help.
*	Joy is going to research where to find cake carriers.
*	Thus far the following people have volunteered to bring cakes:
Johanna (1), John Bailey (cake and cookies), The Burks (2), Fred & Cathy
Schroeder (4), John & Sandy Halverson (1), Joy (2), and Bobbie (1).
*	We need to be there by 12:45.

Announcements:

*	Ability Rides program-Rodney summarized this program.  He will
present more information about this program at our next meeting.

Future Committees

*	We might want to set up some committees.
*	Membership committee - We need to compile a list of the names, email
addresses, and phone numbers of our members.  We might also want to compile
a list of names and contact information for potential new members.
*	We would also like to have a program and activities committee.
*	We need to produce minutes to inform people about what occurs at our
meetings and conference calls.

Topics for future meetings and activities

*	Ashley asked about having a program on crafting.  Maybe a Saturday
afternoon work-shop on crafting.
*	Outreach to senior centers.
*	We should select a population/group to focus our efforts during the
upcoming year.
*	Find community activities to volunteer at.
*	Tom asked about interfacing with the blind high school students in
Fairfax and Fairfax county.  Annette explained about Project Rise.
*	The RISE program is looking for more mentors.
*	Our next meeting is February 21, 2019.

Respectfully Submitted,

Rodney Neely, Secretary