[NFBV-Fairfax] Fairfax Chapter NFBV Meeting, Feb 17, 2022

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 17:20:48 UTC 2022

Fairfax Chapter NFBV Meeting, Feb 17, 2022

The Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB)
will be meeting on Thursday, Feb 17, 2022, from 7:00pm - 8:30pm via Zoom.
Next month's chapter meeting will be March 17, 2022 starting at 7PM.

In this announcement you will find:
*          Description of this month's presentation
*          Zoom and dial-in information
*          Agenda

  *   Secretary's Report/Minutes from last meeting
*          Contact Information and Resources:

This month's guest speaker will be from A T Guys, a leader in accessibility.  Founded in 2008, A T Guys provides affordable technology solutions for consumers, businesses, and educational customers. Their product line includes mobile phone software and accessories, portable electronics, screen readers, braille translation software and accessible games. They offer customized instruction both in-person, via phone, or online voice chat on a wide array of assistive technologies including screen readers, braille displays, embossers, the iPhone and iPad, Android phones, and general accessibility consulting. Join us to learn about the many useful products and services available from A T Guys and a special offer for those who attend the meeting.

Virtual Meeting Information:
We will be meeting on Zoom this month and will be using our Affiliate Zoom log in.

Use this link if joining by the Zoom app on your computer or iPhone
https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

Use this "One Tap" when calling in from an iPhone or other Smart phone
tel: +13017158592,,8297256345#

If joining by your landline/telephone use your phone keypad to
Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592
When prompted use your keypad to enter
Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

Please plan to connect to Zoom prior to 7:00pm.

Agenda:
*          Meeting called to order
*          Roll Call of Board members
*          Member and guest introductions
*          NFB Pledge (See below)
*          President's opening remarks - Annette
*          Presentation
Secretary's Report and approval of minutes - John B
*          Presidential Release Summary - Ashley
*          Business discussion
*          Announcements & final comments
*          Adjournment

NFB Pledge:
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation;
and to abide by its constitution.

Secretary's report for Jan 20, 2022
Those attending were: Annette Carr (President), John Bailey (Secretary), Jay Burke (Treasurer) , John Scroggs (board member), and Bobbie Cohen.

It was announced that it is time to pay our 2022 chapter dues. Chapter dues are $5.00 and are due immediately.  Payment can be sent either by Venmo or via snail mail. Jay is handling the collection. Contact Jay at  jburke51 at yahoo.com<mailto:jburke51 at yahoo.com>.  to arrange the type of payment. It is asked that after the money is sent, you notify our chapter President Annette at NFBVFairfax at gmail.com<mailto:NFBVFairfax at gmail.com>.

Another successful Richmond Seminar is under our belts. John Bailey, who lead one of our Richmond Seminar teams talked about the goals of the event as well about the reactions of our representatives.

Richmond Seminar is an annual event organized by the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia to help keep our state Senators and Delegates in the General Assembly informed about proposed legislation that is important to the blind of our state. John talked about the NFB's four issues we carried to our capitol.

The Corona virus had changed how Richmond Seminar was done for this year. In the past, the teams hiked to the Capitol for in person interviews with our representatives. This time, all contact was virtual via Zoom.

Our Delegates and Senators were more than happy about some of our issues. While they asked for additional information about others.

All teams reported success in spreading the word that the NFBV is the largest representative for the blind in the state and we are active participants in paving our future.

Each month, Ashley Bramlett picks out the highlights from the NFB's Presidential Release and reports them to our chapter. This month, Ashley reported that preparations for Washington Seminar are in full swing. She also reported that the iPhone app K-NFB Reader will no longer be supported by the NFB. Instead, a third-party will assume the responsibility of maintaining the application.

Jay announced that for those wishing to participate  in person for this year's Washington Seminar, he offered to assist with transportation. Contact Jay at jburke51 at yahoo.com<mailto:jburke51 at yahoo.com>.

Finally, as a group,  we discussed mindfulness techniques. These techniques help to clear the mind and  bring on relaxation. Many in our group utilize mindfulness in their lives. The only differences were that different techniques work for different people.

The meeting ended at 8:30 PM.

The next chapter meeting will be held virtually via Zoom on Feb. 17 starting at 7:00 PM.

Sincerely,
John Bailey

Chapter contact Information and Resources:
Annette Carr, M.Ed.
President, Fairfax Chapter National Federation of the Blind VA Affiliate
NFBVFairfax at gmail.com<mailto:NFBVFairfax at gmail.com>

John Bailey
Secretary, Fairfax Chapter National Federation of the Blind VA Affiliate
nfbvFairfax at gmail.com<mailto:nfbvFairfax at gmail.com>
703.994.2040

Visit the NFB of VA Affiliate webpage for news and information from around the state:

http://nfbv.org/

News and information from the NFB National Office are available at URL:
https://www.nfb.org/

Sign-up for the NFBV Fairfax Chapter e-mail list at URL:

Sign-up for the NFB of VA Affiliate e-mail list at URL: