[NFBV-Fairfax] Thursday, December 21, 2023 Fairfax chapter meeting agenda

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
Mon Dec 18 22:59:36 UTC 2023

7:00 PM to 8:30 PM

Via the affiliate Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile
tell: +13017158592,,8297256345#

Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592
Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

6:55 PM: Please pop in early so we can start on time. Besides, it’s fun to chat before the meeting officially begins.

7:00 PM: Welcome; Who’s with us this evening?
7:02: Icebreaker: Epic fail, Gift-giving or Gift-receiving Edition: Is there a specific gift you gave or received that turned out to be an epic fail, a disaster, an embarrassment in some way, shape, or form? Do tell. (We want more than just: “It was totally inaccessible,” or “It fit horribly” or “I already had one.” We want to hear something hilarious, and/or something cringe-worthy. Something that will bring out our empathy and/or giggles.
7:15: November Chapter Meeting Minutes
7:18: Update on Treasury
7:20: January in-person gathering: Reston Town Center: Two potential venues.
When: Saturday, January 20, 2024
Start time: 3:00, 3:30, or 4:00 PM
Considerations: Transportation, cost, distance from metro station
Should we have a White Elephant activity: $10 or less wrapped unisex gift.
Election: Delegate for affiliate board meetings
Christine will not be at the next board meeting; Ameenah Ghoston and John Bailey have offered to be  alternate delegate.
7:35 PM: Holiday Safety Tips: Christine and Braden Flax
7:50 PM Q&A
8:00 PM: Quick break: Grab a drink, a bite, playbwith your pet, run to the facilities, play a quick word game, say something nice to someone in your household, or just hang out and chat until the meeting comes back to order.
8:05 PM: Priorities:
Public transportation in Fairfax is a significant problem for those who cannot drive. This issue impacts networking, shopping, employment opportunities, socializing, community involvement, and the ability to contribute to the local economy. Let’s put together a plan for addressing this issue head-on.
Potential steps:
Media: Blog on our NFBV web site, discussion on our YouTube channel, a Fairfax County Chapter Facebook page, outreach to local media, flyers in local establishments, possible allies (DBVI, senior centers, ophthalmologists and other health care centers, etc.
Legislation: Make a list of assemblypeople and representatives in Fairfax. Determine which of our members are constituents of those members and begin reaching out. We can put together talking points, propose virtual or in-person meetings at their local offices, write to them through their web sites, call local offices, etc.
Put together examples of how much time it takes us to get to a particular place: grocery store, a recent job interview, visiting an elderly parent or neighbor, visiting  a friend in the hospital, a medical appointment, a local theater, volunteering at a local soup kitchen or animal shelter, etc.  what is required to visit a Smithsonian museum or other cultural institution or event in Washington, D.C.?
 Compare this to how long it takes someone to drive who has the ability to do so.
8:20: Membership
We need a person who will be our Membership Point of Contact. That individual will attend any affiliate or national membership meetings (John Halverson is our affiliate Membership Committee Chair.)
8:25: Cloud storage: What are the pros and cons of having chapter documents saved on Google, in Dropbox, iCloud, etc.?
8:30: Adjourn

Looking forward to our virtual planning and fellowship.

Christine

cfgrassman at icloud.com
(917) 657-6879