[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] {Spam?} Meeting Attendance

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Mon Jul 18 13:07:42 UTC 2016

I am becoming increasingly concerned about our chapter meeting attendance.  Respectfully, therefore, I am asking each of you to help me figure out how to improve it.  I promise not to shoot any messengers.

What would make the meetings more stimulating?  Would anyone be interested in serving as our program coordinator?  Would anyone be interested in taking charge of a small program committee?  Would anyone be interested in serving on it?

Is transportation problematic?  Is anyone willing to provide transportation for other chapter members?  Earlier this year, the chapter voted to allow a small amount of money to help with transportation in some instances.  I would consider it an appropriate use of this money to reimburse someone who goes significantly out of his or her way to provide transportation for other members.  The suggested limitation is a maximum of $20.

We can explore developing transportation resources such as local service organizations.  Is anyone interested in working on that?

We could ask Don Ingles, the trainer from Mobility Options, to talk with us more about the available buses in our area.  We could even have a field trip one meeting and ride some of them with Don.  If I understand correctly, he has driven Fred buses, but now works for Mobility Options.

This year continues to be an experiment because we changed our meeting time, place and day.  We can try to make it work better.  Would you prefer Saturday afternoons rather than mornings?  Would a different Saturday of the month work better?  Do you like the library as a meeting place? There was a misunderstanding.  The cable studio room, the one we like best, is no longer available for new groups.  However, it is still ours on the days we signed up for it because we did so before the policy changed.  Emily Harrison, the scheduler, informed the entire staff of this by email.

What about food and socialization?  Caroline Street abounds with places to eat.  Those of us who want to eat and socialize can have lunch together before or after the meeting.  Many chapters do this.  When I first joined the Chicago chapter in 1979, a group of members always went out for dinner after the meetings.  No one was pressured to do so.  Anyone who was interested and could not afford it discretely received financial assistance.

What about meeting length?  Are the meetings too long?  Generally, in my experience, the minimum recommended level is an hour and a half.  That allows time to play the presidential release, transact important old as well as new chapter business, hear reports and have a guest speaker.  However, each chapter is unique.  What would you like to do differently?

What do you want your president to do differently?  Do I need to be better organized?  Am I dictatorial in an organization which is supposed to be a democracy?

I am asking these difficult questions for another reason.  During the next few months, I will be one of 50 chapter presidents participating in a national office initiative called Chapter Presidents University.  I am thrilled, excited and honored to have this opportunity.  Respectfully, I would really appreciate it if each one of you would take time to help by telling me honestly what you think I need to work on during this training.  I am asking this on behalf of our entire chapter.  I love our Historic Fredericksburg Chapter and want to serve all our members in the most meaningful possible way.  This initial class of Chapter Presidents University had its first meeting at the national convention.  Newer chapter presidents were asked what we want to learn.  More seasoned chapter presidents were asked what they wish they had known when they took office.  I have already requested help with membership building and fund raising.

Please do not be surprised if you receive a friendly phone call form Leon Anderson or Maria Scott.  They very kindly volunteered to supplement my  monthly email meeting reminders with telephone calls.  I genuinely appreciate this kind assistance.  Probably, Leon and Maria would welcome help from anyone who wants to make some of these calls.

I continue to be accessible in person, by telephone, through email or in Braille.  Please feel free to tell me about any concerns you have.