[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] New Year's Resolutions, Days of Decision

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Sun Dec 31 03:36:19 UTC 2017

Happy New Year and please forgive the flagrant plagiarism.  More important, thank you to those who, despite the weather, other commitments and protests, made a very special effort to attend today's meeting.  Attendees included Michael Kasey, Bernie Werwie, his friend Tess, Kaitlynn Jordan, Steve hastalis, Holly Frisch, Chris Ehrmann and at least two other members of his family.  Some members could not be  there personally but provided transportation so others could attend.  Virtually everyone brought food to share with all of us.

Very sadly, there is a grave problem.  Not enough voting members  were present to constitute a quorum.  Our chapter requires 10 paid members in order to transact any business requiring a vote. vote.  Because  this was not the case today, we could not proceed with the regularly scheduled annual December business of electing new officers.  I know this meeting had to be rescheduled because of inclement  weather, and that almost happened again today.  I realize some members are on vacation.  However, the embarrassingly poor turn out for our annual  holiday party marks a dangerously low point in our chapter's history.

Earlier this year, our attendance at a meting was so low, it negatively attracted our current president's attention.  At his urging,  with assistance from members  like Bernie Werwie, I think our programming improved significantly.  Unfortunately, our attendance  did not match this improvement.

Again, there were some understandable reasons and I unhappily acknowledge my contribution to them.   We did not meet the same time every month, and that caused confusion.  Working together as the fabulous Historic Fredericksburg Chapter, we need to correct this attendance problem.

Here are questions requiring an  answer from every person who receives this communication?  First, we really need a commitment from each of you to attend a meeting once a month for approximately two hours.  Otherwise, we cannot move forward and do the Federation's work.  To what time slot are you willing to  commit?  Do you want a weekend meeting during daylight hours or a week day evening?  If we arrange your preference, will you make a commitment to attend our monthly meetings?  If transportation, meeting time and programming are not what keeps you from coming, what else can  we change?  In other words, what will make you really want to attend virtually all the Historic Fredericksburg Chapter's monthly meetings.  I need to hear from all of you as  soon as humanly possible.  This is because I want To begin the work of making any chapter mandated changes as soon as possible, probably beginning first thing Tuesday morning. We need responses from all of  you.    Please respond either by email or telephone.  Please include your name,  what changes you want made and, if we can accomplish them, your commitment to attend meetings regularly, even if it means giving up some things such as other family events.