[Nfbv-historic-fredericksburg] Final Reminder

Holly Frisch Holly at volunteersfortheblind.org
Sat Feb 16 00:58:38 UTC 2019

It would be extremely appreciated if everyone would please make a special effort to attend tomorrow's meeting.  We not only need to have elections, but meaningful ones.  Tomorrow, we need to vote for president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, as well as a representative and alternate for the state board meetings.  If you are dissatisfied with your current officers and board members, this is your opportunity to nominate and elect new ones.

There is a question which might arise tomorrow, so I will attempt to address it.  Several years ago, a member asked if we could elect someone who was not at the meeting.  Technically, provided the person has been contacted and is willing to serve if elected, we can.  Sometimes, when there is a very good reason a person cannot be present, he or she is nominated and elected. Personally, however, I  urge caution.  People we elect to offices need to attend meetings.  Unless there is a really good reason, I would hesitate to nominate and elect someone who does not attend tomorrow's meeting.  This is about commitment.  As I stated in my last communication, there can be no proxy voting.  That is because our constitution prohibits it.

Only paid members can vote.  Anyone who is not current with his or her dues has the opportunity to pay tomorrow before the election begins.  No one who pays dues tomorrow will have to be voted back into our chapter.  Possibly, that might have to change in the future because the National Office wants to strengthen, streamline, clarify and unify the membership process.  However, I consider it safe to say there will be no such changes without plenty of notification, as well as explanatory discussions.  This is a welcoming chapter to current and new members.  I consider it equally safe to say we don't want anyone to be or feel left out. After the elections, if anyone feels that way, we need to hear about and at least seriously attempt to change it.