[NFBV-Historic-Fredericksburg] Historic Fredericksburg Crier

rtbyrne at aol.com rtbyrne at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 22:08:58 UTC 2020

HISTORIC FREDERICKSBURG CRIER December 6th

Bon Jour, my fellow Federationists and friends. Welcometo another Crier. I think we might as well begin with, to paraphrase a famousquotation, to meet or not to meet, that is the question. As much as I wouldlove to meet on December 19th in person, it is looking less and less possible. Thesurge in virus incidents does not make it worth the risk. Unless there is amajor positive change in the pandemic, I do not want to risk the health ofanyone. If there is a major change because of the vaccine maybe but ourDecember meeting will probably be via Zoom. Even if we do meet, we will Zoomthe meeting. Hopefully, we can have an in-person holiday meeting in January.

     One bit ofgood news concerns two new people in the Fredericksburg area that have beenreferred to us. One is a man and the other is a Mary Washington UniversityJunior. I hope we can welcome them into our chapter both virtually andphysically in the near future. I know you are all welcoming folks and will dowhatever you can do to help them.

      We are inwhat is usually the most  festive seasonwhere celebrating with friends and family is of utmost importance. This yeartheir health and ours must take priority. I hope you are able to safely meetwith those most important to you and have the best holiday possible.

      It seems likeI mention my favorite podcast in every Crier and it is for a good reason. Icame to blindness rather late in life and I seem to be learning new things thatI find useful to a visually impaired person almost every day. I never know ifwhat I just learned is known already by the blind community or if it is trulynew to many of us. Given this premise, I must now point out two recent BlindAbilities podcasts. Remember, you can get them from Alexa or however you getpodcasts. You can also go to BlindAbilities.com to get the podcasts and more.Below you will find a short description of each podcast plus a link to go tothe podcast. I hope you enjoy, especially if you use the very accessiblei-phone.

Please be safe and stay well

Dick cell 804-445-8318

rtbyrne at aol.com

     The firstinterview is with the director of accessibility at Apple. She describes someamazing new features using Magnifier  that can let you know how many people are infront of you or if that seat is empty without poking someone with your cane.There is much more,including the description of a site at Apple to teach VoiceOver and new functions. Just go to  thelink below. After you listen to the podcast you can go to the Apple sitementioned to learn more about accessibility. That site is Apple.com/Accessibility

http://blindabilities.com/?p=6376

     The secondpodcast is with a person who came to blindness because of a retinal disease laterin life and the challenge he faced. His challenge was made quite a bit harderwhen he got the virus.

http://blindabilities.com/?p=6366