[NFBV-Historic-Fredericksburg] (no subject)

rtbyrne at aol.com rtbyrne at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 22:42:11 UTC 2020

              HISTORIC FREDERICKSBURG CRIER - NOV. 13th

     Howdy andwelcome to the latest edition of our Crier. I have been a little hampered byhardware and software issues of my own making. As I may have mentionedpreviously, my history of working with computers goes back to 1966. I worked asa computer operator on NCR mainframe computors and then as a programmer for two large companies. It bored me and I wentto sales and sales management for a while. Then I became a science teacher.That is when I started using small computers at school and home. This backgroundis why computers do not scare me but the BVI things have made it a bit harderwhen the software and I are fighting.

     Mycurrent problem was my deciding to move my desktop to my mancave and buy a new,more powerful desktop for my computer room. Unfortunately this ended up coincidingwith a Microsoft 365 update and ZoomText update. The result was chaos. Suetries to help me but I am a challenge sometimes. It took a while to get backnear normal.

First on our list today I want to point out that theplan is to have a meeting next Saturday, November 21st.  This meeting will depend on Covid thingsstaying the way they are now.  If themeeting goes as scheduled at the Library, we will also either zoom it orconference call it for those who cannot make it.  I will put out an update by next Thursday if there are any changes to themeeting.

I know most of you probably have some sort of screenreader.  I use zoomtext but I know manyof you use JAWS.  In case you didn’t knowit, zoomtext and JAWS belong to the same company now and are available as oneprogram called Fusion.

If JAWS or Zoomtext are not in your price range atthe moment there is another program you might look into.  NVBDA is a free open source program that is avery usable screen reader.  BlindAbilities did a podcast a few days ago where they talked about this screenreader.  I will put a link at the bottomof this Crier that will take you to  thatpodcast or you can go to BlindAbilities.com and find the article that might bean easier way to see the items referenced in it.

I hope everyone is doing well.  Sue and I have been able to be out a littlebit going to places like one of our kids’ homes or church and the grocery storeand restaurant but it’s still strange and we want to interact with peopleagain. I hope next Saturday’s meeting can be live and in person, ‘til then besafe.

Dick - 804-238-5608 - Rtbyrne at aol.com

http://blindabilities.com/?p=6325