[NFBV-Historic-Fredericksburg] Fredericksburg Crier

rtbyrne at aol.com rtbyrne at aol.com
Fri Feb 5 16:09:32 UTC 2021

HISTORIC FREDERICKSBURG CRIER – February 5th 2021

     Guten Tag myfriends and fellow Federationists. Welcome to another edition of the Crier. Ihope all are well and surviving this strange time in our lives. Sue and I arescheduled to receive our vaccinations next week. Hopefully, we can stay out ofharm’s way until we get our shots. I hope you and yours can get your shots assoon as possible. We definitely need herd immunity to get us back to normalcy. Itwill be great to get back to meeting in person and living normal lives.

     Besides the largeand sad loss of human life that we have suffered, many of us have sufferedfinancially due to job losses. Sue and I are lucky in that we are retired andare income remained stable. That stability allowed me to take the governmentcheck and invest it in Delta Airlines stock. It was really my first-time buyingstock from a broker. As of the closing bell Thursday it had basically doubled.I guess that sort of proves some of the old sayings that imply that sometimessome good comes out of the bad but I would prefer the bad had not happened.

     I believe I wroteabout the ENVISION APP in an earlier CRIER.It is an APP that uses your phone;scamera to connect you to visual help. The APP is now able to function usingspecial glasses. I have forwarded the e-mail from the company  talking about the glasses  This e-mail was sent to all chapterpresidents.

     I want tostrongly suggest that you go to BlindAbilities.com and read or listen to thepodcasts aboutseveral interesting subjects including  STRAP, Braille Doodles, Tech Abilities, andseveral other options. STRAP is a device that is sort of like a hockey puckthat you attach to your chest. The device has sensors in it that can take theplace of a white cane or supplement it if you prefer. It sounds veryinteresting. Braille Doodles is an electronic device that could help teachBraille among other uses.

     Please check outBlind Abilities on the web or your Alexa or other device. You owe it toyourself.

     Please be safe and I hope we can actuallymeet in person in the fall, if not sooner.

Dick Byrne

rtbyrne at aol.com

804-238-5608