[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Meet the Blind Month

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Mon Sep 17 14:00:57 UTC 2018

Good Morning,

In preparation for this evening's Meet the Blind Month conference call, below find a list of Meet the Blind activities from last year.  I am not sure this is an exhaustive  list, but it gives examples of activities.

See below.

John

Here is a list of Meet the Blind Activities from 2017 taken from our Website.

California

Following our Saturday, October 14, chapter meeting, members and friends of the National Federation of the Blind of California San Diego Chapter will ride the bus to Grossmont Center in La Mesa. We will grab a bite to eat and perhaps go see a movie or do some shopping. We will bring some of our literature to share with our friends from the community. Please let Lisa Irving, chapter president, know if you plan to join this activity.

District of Columbia

Do you love good pizza and participating in fundraisers for nonprofit organizations? Then the National Federation of the Blind Greater Washington D.C. Chapter's Meet the Blind Month fundraiser at Ledo's Pizza is the place to be! Just mention NFB DC and not only will you enjoy delicious pizzas, pastas, and salads, but a portion of your payment will go to fund many of our chapter programs and events!

When: Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Location: Ledo's Pizza, 7435 Georgia Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20012
Time: 3:00-9:30 p.m.
Note: Fundraiser includes dine-in and carry out orders.

Idaho

The Central Idaho Chapter would like to invite everyone to stop by Idaho Pizza Company at 1859 Kimberly Rd in Twin Falls on Friday, October 6, at 6:00 p.m. to learn about the National Federation of the Blind and Meet the Blind Month.

Listen to your favorite music live with three of Boise's most popular bands. Join us October 15 for an awesome and fun event for everyone while helping support important programs for blind children. This is a great opportunity to do something fun with the whole family, work colleagues, or just a group of friends. Save money when you get your tickets in advance. Hurry, they will go fast! We and all of the blind children thank you for your support. nfbidaho.org/3bands

Iowa

Members read Braille to a group of parishioners at All Saints Catholic Church on October 7. On October 10, the mayor of Cedar Rapids read a white cane proclamation during a city council meeting. NFB literature and Braille alphabet cards were distributed to the audience at the Cedar Rapids public library on October 12.

Maryland

As part of our Meet the Blind Month activities, the Greater Baltimore Chapter of the NFB of Maryland is holding a wine tasting benefit Saturday, October 14, 5:00-7:00 p.m. The event will be at Spirits of Mt. Vernon, 900 North Charles Street. Enter to win a raffle for a $200 gift certificate to Spirits of Mt. Vernon! The Greater Baltimore Chapter of NFB invites you to join us for an evening of fine wine and good company.

Ohio

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Cincinnati Chapter is celebrating Meet the Blind Month and White Cane Safety Day by having proclamations read at City Hall by Vice Mayor David Mann and having a cane walk to Fountain Square. We'll be selling our Meet the Blind Month t-shirts for $15.

Oregon

On October 15 at 1:30 p.m., help us celebrate National White Cane Day by participating in our White Cane Walk! Join the Portland Central Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Oregon as we demonstrate how blind people live the lives we want and travel independently around the city. The walk will begin at Powell's City of Books.

South Carolina

The Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of SC will have our second annual Step It Up Walk for Meet the Blind Month on Saturday, October 14, 2017. This great event will take place at the Drew Wellness Center outside track located at 2101 Walker Solomon Way, Columbia, SC. Registration is from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m., and the walk will begin at 9:00 a.m. The low cost to take part in this event is only $20! Be sure to bring a friend, neighbor, or another family member to enjoy this great event. If you have any questions, give President Tiffiny Mitchell a call at (803) 603-2098.

Tennessee

The Memphis Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee would like to invite you to join us in celebrating White Cane Awareness Day during Meet the Blind Month. Our 2017 White Cane Award Banquet will take place on Friday, October 20, from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Marian Hale Community Center located at 4791 Willow Rd. We will be giving awards to local organizations and individuals who embody the Federation philosophy, including the Tennessee business enterprise Randolph Sheppard program, and one of our chapter members who makes our work a little easier. The keynote speaker will be "Mean Jean," the retired Braille instructor from Tennessee Rehabilitation Center that taught many Tennesseans how to be independent by reading and writing with Braille. It will be a fun evening filled with live entertainment, great information, and of course great barbecue courtesy of One & Only BBQ. Tickets are $20.

Texas

The Rio Grande Valley Chapter of the NFB of Texas will host a White Cane Walk and screening of Do You Dream in Color? to celebrate Meet the Blind Month. The walk will start at 4:00 p.m. at Historic Cine El Rey, 311 S. 17th Street, McAllen, TX 78501, and the film will start at 5:00 p.m.

The National Federation of the Blind of Texas Coastal Bend Chapter is hosting a Meet the Blind Month Jamboree on October 14 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Antonio E. Garcia Arts & Education Center (2021 Agnes, Corpus Christi, TX). This Jamboree will be the first of its kind in the area, and will give an opportunity for everyone to come out and meet the blind community. We'll have face painting, refreshments, door prizes, music, and lots more. We hope you'll join us!

Utah

Chili Cook-off
When: Saturday, October 28, 2017; noon to 2:00 p.m.
Where: DSBVI 250 North 1950 West, Salt Lake

This event will feature chefs from our chapter showing off their culinary skills in hopes of winning your vote for best chili. If you would like to enter your cuisine, please reach out to Jennifer Kennedy at msjenniferkennedy at gmail.com or by phone at (330) 465-6245 for more details.

Not a foodie? Don't worry. Come dressed in your Halloween costume and compete for Best Costume 2017! For additional details, including a description of your costume, please reach out to Deja Powell at deja.powell at gmail.com.

We will discuss alternative cooking techniques and feature some other talents from our chapter members. The cost for the event is $10 per person or $25 per family. Half the proceeds will benefit our affiliates in Puerto Rico and Texas who are in need after this year's hurricane season.

Do You Dream In Color? Screening
When: Sunday, October 29, 2017; 6:30-8:00 p.m.
Where: University of Utah Union Theater

Bring your family and friends to a free movie night and help educate them on how blind people live the lives they want. This award-winning documentary features four blind teenagers who set out to prove that blindness is not what holds them back. Winner of a 2017 Dr. Jacob Bolotin award, the National Federation of the Blind of Utah is proud to offer this screening free of charge to the public. There are only 100 tickets available, so be sure to get yours in advance so you don't miss out. Please contact Jennifer Kennedy at msjenniferkennedy at gmail.com for ticket requests or other questions.
.