[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Minutes and Snacks

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Wed Apr 10 17:41:04 UTC 2019

Hello,

Below find our February 2019 minutes.

Also, Naim is bringing snacks.  Thank you Naim!

John

PCNFB Chapter Minutes for march 14, 2019

The Monthly meeting of the Potomac Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind was convened at 7 p.m. by President John Halverson. Twenty-five  members were present.

The icebreaker was what is your favorite pie in recognition of National Pie Day?

We had a moment of silence.

The NFB pledge was led and recited by Kathryn Webster .

The minutes of the February 14, 2019 meeting were discussed and accepted with just minor adjustments.

Treasurer's report for the period from 02/14/2019 to 03/14/2019
General Fund:
Beginning Balance: $3,552.68
Ending Balance: $3,189.68
Youth fund: Unchanged $1,750.00

Philosophy
President John Halverson discussed the membership program that our national president Mark Riccabono is launching so that all members receive a membership coin. What does that mean to us? Some members responded with the sense of inclusiveness as a collective vehicle, it also symbolizes a belonging and to be a part of something, it's a symbol of one's loyalty and commitment, so we don't forget that you are the only blind person and that you are not alone, a pleasant conversation starter. The membership coin also has the word "together" in Braille.

National Convention
President Soforenko talked about how empowering, educational and the best networking ever  at the National Federation of the Blind's national convention taking place in Las Vegas from July 7-12th and how you can be there. You can pre-register by may 31st to save on your registration and banquet; you can apply for the McDonald Fellowship which provides partial funding for first-time conventioneers; if you are a student, you can apply for a national scholarship which provides an expense-paid trip; you can apply for the Kenneth Jernigan scholarship which also provides some partial funding for first and second time conventioneers; an array of activities/workshops/seminars/etc will be conducted throughout the convention week.

Presidential Release
President Riccabono discussed the membership coins and he is awaiting spreadsheets from each affiliate so members can have their coins for national convention taking place in Las Vegas this July 7-12th. Pre-registration is now open until May 31st.
The Blind Parents Podcast is now available discussing blindness and parenting. The Braille Monitor is our flagship publication available in various formats-thumb drive, email, and Braille.

Announcements

Earl Everett is our statewide fundraising coordinator, so consider  joining the affiliate fundraising  effort.
Nancy  announced that conference calls for our upcoming Tech Fair in which various types of tech will be demoed such as Netflix, Amazon Firestick, Online Grocery Apps, medical devices, iPhones/iPads, newsline, etc have been taking place and she is looking for individuals to volunteer .
Nancy announced that there will only be a BELL program in Harrisonburg taking place in July for a week.
President Soforenko announced that the affiliate board meeting will be taking place on Saturday, May 18th in Richmond.
President John Halverson would like a committee formed and led by Kathryn to plan a wine-tasting event at the halversons' Home.

Yours in the Federation

Respectfully submitted,
Evelyn Valdez
NFBV Affiliate/Potomac Chapter Recording Secretary