[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] FW: Potomac Chapter September Meeting Minutes

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Sep 24 19:44:36 UTC 2019

Thank you Christine,

From: Christine Grassman [mailto:cfgrassman at icloud.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:03 PM
To: John Halverson <jwh100 at outlook.com>
Subject: Potomac Chapter September Meeting Minutes

Potomac Chapter Minutes September 12, 2019:

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by President John Halverson with seventeen people in attendance, two of whom were guests and became members during the meeting.
The ice-breaker question asked about everyone’s favorite breakfast; answers ranged from the proverbial college favorite of cold pizza to tried-and-true mainstays like black coffee and English breakfasts, some with caveats.
The discussion question surrounded the experiences we have as blind people when traveling in foreign countries. The consensus was that wherever we are, we will face a range of reactions to our independent travel, though Norway stood out as particularly measured and positive in its interactions with blind visitors.
There does seem to be an upward trend in people accepting, interacting with, and providing assistance when traveling, rather than acting uncomfortable or trying to take on a custodial role.
However, there continue to be some issues with travel agencies and tour companies forcing us to prove ourselves or fight for our right to participate on a par with our sighted fellow travelers.
Any wines purchased at the September 14 wine-tasting can  be picked up at Arrow Wine, 4508 Lee Highway, in Arlington. Bottles ordered through the wine-tasting order forms will determine percentage of sales; below 35 bottles, 10 percent; 35 plus will be 20 percent.
The 56-passenger bus to the state convention will probably cost $40 each way, which is much cheaper than the train plus Uber ride that would be necessary otherwise. The Thursday afternoon bus will leave some time between 2:00 and 3:00 PM. Some students need to come on Friday.
Thus far, the following individuals have indicated that they will take the bus:
Joanne and Harold Wilson; Evelyn; Deepa; Nancy; Joe Hobson; Tracy (and Sharon, but the latter likely only going back).
Reservations and registration can be handled either online or by phone. Information is available on the affiliate web site.
The deadline for early registration pricing is Tuesday, October 8.
Agenda items will be sent out as they are filled in. There are plans for a financial information seminar, Seniors seminar, CLI programming on more effective chapters; empowerment luncheon, blind parents’ panel; DBVI will have a presentation and question-and-answer session. Our national representative is Ron Brown.
There will be a special ceremony subsequent to chapter presidents distributing membership coins to their members. Sandy Halverson will lead this ceremony. Any suggested agenda items or other programming ideas should be sent to Tracy as soon as possible; the agenda has an October 1 deadline.
There will be hospitality Friday night and the banquet on Saturday. There will be childcare.
The hotel has a restaurant; the waterfront is in walking distance with several dining options. Attendees also have the option to purchase lunch on Friday and Saturday in addition to the banquet ticket.
The National Harbor trip with members of our chapter and other local chapters was a success.
Christine Grassman was appointed Membership Chair.
Sandy, Nancy, and Shawn offered support in the membership effort.
Sandy has some coin holders for sale for the membership coins; reserve yours.
Developing activities for youth is something we wish to expand upon. The Kiwanis Club has been asked to assist us again with our Youth Fund and it is suspected that they may repeat their donation.
Nick, Lizzie, and Deepa expressed an interest in the development of youth activities.
Kassahul discussed his desire to have school supplies such as slates, Braillers, and Braille books to Ethiopian blind children. He will be visiting Ethiopia in November for about two months. Approaching the National Office about this project was discussed.
The chapter will assist with shipping costs. Kassahul indicated that Ethiopia permitted the importation of educational supplies for the blind for free.
Nancy will coordinate the gathering of supplies; Tracy will help with the National Office contact.
There are several Meet the Blind Month activities being planned, including several members reading Twin Vision books to preschool-age children at a  library Storytime  several dates in October; volunteers who are interested should contact Susie or Arielle.  Sandy has some Twin Vision books which could be used.
On October 22 at the Department of Defense’s Diversity Operations Management Center, Evelyn Valdez and others will be conducting a training session.
John was invited to participate in a briefing on September 26 by Arlington Census Partners. At our October chapter meeting, there will be a guest discussing and demonstrating a voting machine.
There are concerns about the accessibility of voting machines as is evidenced in a Maryland lawsuit. Differences in the appearance of the ballot flags voters as disabled. One solution is that non-disabled people are using the machines as well so that this assumption can be canceled out.
There are polling jobs that blind people can do, and this meeting will provide an opportunity to explore and discuss those possibilities.
Presidential Release 486:
President Riccobono discussed the 35 BELL academies which took place this summer across the country, as well as the many picnics, other summer outings, the pending fall convention season, and National Guide Dog Month. White Cane laws also protect guide dog users.
We continue to monitor Uber and Lyft to hold them accountable with respect to equal treatment. If you use either service, or know someone who does, please give information, positive or negative, about your treatment.
The American Action Fund’s Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest is open to children and adults and is free. The reading period runs between December 1, 2019, and February 1, 2020.  Categories are K-Grade 1; Grades 2-3; Grades 4-5; Grades 6-8; Grades 9-12, and Adults. There will be prizes.
For further information and if you have questions, contact braillereadingcontest at actionfund.org<mailto:braillereadingcontest at actionfund.org>
Send details about Meet the Blind Month activities for our web site and use Meet the Blind hashtag on social media.
RSVP for prospective member informational calls; the next one is October 20 at 4 PM. Membership at nfb.org<mailto:Membership at nfb.org>
You can also call (410) 659-9314, ext. 2509.
White Cane Safety Day is October 15; promote the cane on this day and in conjunction with Meet the Blind activities.  The best teachers of the cane are independent, confident blind travelers.
Do not forget that the NFB has a free cane program; the form is on the web site.
With Congress back in session, we must call, email, visit, and otherwise advocate for our priorities and resolutions.
Respectfully Submitted,
Christine Faltz Grassman
Recording Secretary