[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Elections

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
Mon Apr 5 11:34:54 UTC 2021

It is time for chapter elections.
At this Thursday’s meeting, we will hold elections for those individuals whose names were put forward by the Nominating Committee and for any nominations from the floor.  If you wish to nominate someone, please reach out to them beforehand to make sure they wish to be a candidate and that they have paid their chapter dues.  In order to vote, you must be present, and your chapter dues must be current.  Our Treasurer, Sean McMahon, will announce those who are eligible to vote.  Prior to the meeting, the list of those eligible to vote will be sent to affiliate President and Potomac Chapter member Tracy Soforenko.

For most offices, a voice vote will be utilized, and we might elect by acclamation.
If there is an election where multiple people are running, we will ask if a secret ballot is requested.  If not, we will unmute and vote by voice. If so, the following protocol will be used:

Tracy will accept ballots at his email address.  He will not cast a ballot for these offices; he will check that those emailing their votes are eligible to vote, he will tabulate the votes, and he will keep them private.
We will give 2 – 3 minutes for members to vote via email.

As defined in our chapter constitution, if there are 3 or more candidates for a position and a single individual does not receive a majority of votes, we will drop the candidate with the fewest votes and run the ballot again with the remaining candidates until someone has received a majority of the votes.

I believe everyone has Tracy’s email address; if not, it will be given at the meeting.
Please see below the slate of candidates put forth by our Nominating Committee: Chair Patricia Droppers, and committee members Deepa Goraya, Nancy Yeager, and Sandy Halverson.

I want to thank the committee for their service.
I also want to thank Kathryn Webster for her commitment to our chapter over the past few years.  If word has not yet reached you, Kathryn has a very exciting reason for not standing for election this year, and I will not steal away her opportunity to tell you all about it at the chapter meeting.
I will send the full agenda for this Thursday’s meeting by noon Wednesday.  If you wish to have business placed on the agenda, please reach out to me by 8:00 AM Wednesday.

Nominating Committee Report from Patricia Droppers:
The Nominating Committee of the Potomac Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia puts forth the following slate of candidates for consideration:

President: Christine Grassman
First Vice President: Deepa Goraya
Second Vice President: Nancy Yeager
Treasurer: Sean McMahon
Recording Secretary: Arielle Silverman
Corresponding Secretary: John Halverson
Board Positions:
#1 Karin Jernberg
#2: Qudsiya Naqui
#3: Rachel Schreiman

Respectfully submitted,

Patricia Droppers, Chair
Members Deepa Goraya, Sandy Halverson, and Nancy Yeager