[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] PCNFB April 2021 Minutes

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Mon Apr 12 14:33:23 UTC 2021

April 8, 2021 Potomac Chapter Meeting

The Potomac chapter meeting was called to order  at 7:01 p.m. and 22 people were present.
The March 2021 minutes were approved with one correction: The General Assembly, rather than the Congress, approved the legislation discussed at Richmond Seminar.
The treasurer's report was approved. The current balances are $2,498.29 in the general fund and $1,750.00 in the youth fund.
John Halverson presented the audit committee report. The audit was completed on Tuesday April 6. The audit found that all financial transactions and account balances could be properly reconciled. The audit committee commended treasurer Sean McMahon for his hard work and is pleased with the adoption of PayPal. The audit report was accepted by the membership.
The nominating committee report was given and elections were conducted. The following officers were elected:
President: Christine Grassman
First vice-president: Deepa Goraya
Second vice-president: Nancy Yeager
Treasurer: Sean McMahon
Corresponding secretary: John Halverson
Recording secretary: Arielle Silverman
Board members: Qudsiya Naqui, Rachel Schreiman, and Karin Jernberg.

The following appointments were confirmed:
Membership chair: Nancy Yeager
Fundraising co-chairs: Sean McMahon and Sarah Blumberg
Delegate to state board: Christine Grassman
Alternate delegate: Deepa Goraya

The program and activities committee gave an update on the GroupRaise fund-raising site. The site appears to be accessible. Members can submit requests to a handful of restaurants but not too many. After a request, the restaurant has 7 days to accept. After they accept, we can start promoting our event. The event requests should be made at least two weeks in advance. The event will get a unique webpage where attendees can RSVP. The service has gotten positive online reviews.
Sean mentioned that the payment will probably have to go to the affiliate and then be forwarded to the chapter. The fund-raising committee will finalize these details.
It was proposed that we reach out to one or more local restaurant chains to see if they would directly sponsor a fund-raiser instead of using GroupRaise
Rachel knows the executive VP of Glory Days and can make an introduction.
Christine proposed identifying an event date and location by next month's meeting.
There will be a guide dog users panel at next month's meeting. If members have specific topic ideas, they should send them to the program committee.
Christine emphasized that we will need to raise funds for hosting the state convention. Anyone with creative fundraising ideas should talk to Christine or the fundraising committee.
Tracy discussed some activities that will be described at the board meeting. A proposal is being prepared for a Blind Senior program modeled after the Silver Bells program in Texas. This would be a weekend retreat to connect blind seniors across the Commonwealth with blind role models. Individuals with feedback on this program should bring ideas to Tracy before the board meeting.
Yasiah, a Federationist from Richmond, is moving to northern Virginia with her high-school-age children. Members provided advice on places to relocate with good schools, transit, etc.
It was moved, seconded and passed that we donate $50 to each of the four NFB national funds (Jernigan, Sun, TenBroek, White Cane) immediately, with a pledge to donate an additional $50 to each fund by the end of the year if fundraising allows. The decision for the second donation will be made in November after the state convention.
It was moved, seconded and passed that we donate a $25 door prize to the national convention.
Chapter members concluded the meeting by reciting the NFB pledge.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:53 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Arielle Silverman, Secretary, NFB Potomac Chapter

<2021-04-08 Potomac Chapter Meeting.docx>