[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Book Club Questions for Anxious People

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Sat Nov 27 15:01:15 UTC 2021

Hello Friends,

Our next book club meeting will take place at 7:00 PM, Wednesday December1 by Zoom.

Our book is Anxious People.  The questions are below the Zoom credentials.

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

 Telephone Dial: tel:6468769923
Meeting ID: 829 725 6345

One tap mobile
tel:+16468769923,,8297256345

Book Club Questions for Anxious People

1.  The book starts off with Fredrik writing that this is a book about idiots. And that while it's easy to declare that other people are idiots, it's also true how difficult being a human is.  What  do you think he's saying here about human nature,?

2.  When you see the word 'idiot' what's the first thing that comes to mind?

3.  This story becomes one about a hostage drama. Why do you think the 'bank robber' decided to try to rob a bank? W hat does that say about desperation and also just having a really bad idea?

4.  Were you surprised when it turns out the bank robber is a woman?

5.  The story is told in a nonlinear way and while we have the hostage storyline there's also one about a bridge and a tragedy that happened there.  How did the bridge storyline connect with the hostage one?

6.  We follow the father/son policemen duo: Jim and Jack. What did you think about their dynamic and relationship?

7.  Jack tried to save the man from jumping off the bridge but the man still jumped. He did end up saving a girl - who we meet much later as the psychologist Nadia.  How did the bridge impact Jack's life and n choices going forward.l?

8.  What did you think about the scene where Jack and Nadia meet again?

9.  Throughout the novel, we learn about Jack's mother who passed away and his sister who is addicted to drugs. How did that factor into why Jim let the bank robber go free?

10.  Were you surprised when Jack ended up agreeing with his father in the end and letting her be?

11. The people hel isd hostages are all as different as can be in so many ways. But yet, there are some similarities, especially when it comes to grief, fear and loneliness.  Discuss how each of them are searching for some type of rescue.

12.   How do you think you would have reacted if you were one of the hostages?

13.  In what ways did this hostage situation change each of their characters for the better?

14.  Which character storyline were you the most engaged with in this story?

15.  At the end of the story, Fredrik writes that this story is about many different things but most of all about idiots. And how we're doing the best we can. Let's talk about this. What do you think are some of the key takeaways from the story?

See you on Wednesday.