[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] October 14, 2021 Potomac Chapter Minutes

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Oct 19 15:25:57 UTC 2021

Hello,

Please find below the minutes from our October 14, 2021 Potomac chapter meeting.

John Halverson, Corresponding Secretary

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. and 13 people were present.
The minutes from the September 9 meeting were approved without correction.
The treasurer's report for the past two months was approved.
Sean explained that individuals may pay the chapter via check, PayPal, or Square. If using PayPal, individuals should choose the friends and family option to avoid charging fees to the chapter. If paying with a credit card instead of a PayPal bank transfer, it is best to use Square.
Before the next chapter meeting, Christine will circulate an email with updated methods of paying the chapter virtually, including a new mailing address for check payments.
Sandy Halverson gave the following announcements:

  *   Longtime Federation member Lloyd Rasmussen passed away on September 13. A funeral service will occur on Saturday October 16.
  *   We have received the grant from the Virginia Board for the Blind to launch the Silver Bells program.
  *   On Saturday October 23, from 2-5 pm at the Halverson's home, will be a baby shower for Joe Orozco and Julie McGinnity. More details will be sent by email soon.
The NFBV affiliate is setting up a fund in memory of Charlie Brown. He was passionate about legislation and Richmond Seminar, so money is being set aside to help cover Richmond Seminar expenses in the future. It was moved, seconded and passed for the Potomac Chapter to contribute $200 to this fund.

Christine gave a report on the successful BEAM event last Saturday. We hosted a table at the Alexandria Waterfront and provided braille cards for people including the Alexandria City mayor, Justin Wilson. There was a video and photo of Christine and Evelyn holding up the proclamation from Mayor Wilson.

Christine presented information about fire safety in honor of October as Fire Safety Prevention Month. Some of the information included:

  *   When we move our clocks backward for the end of Daylight Savings Time, it is a good time to check whether our smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working. It is recommended to have a smoke detector placed high and a carbon monoxide detector placed lower. After a smoke detector goes off, you have about 2-5 minutes to evacuate safely.
  *   If a grease fire occurs, do not put water on it. Either evacuate the kitchen and call for help, or use a fire extinguisher in a grid pattern to put out the fire.
  *   The most common cause of fire-related deaths is smoke inhalation. Smoke rises, so when evacuating a fire area, get down as low as possible.
  *   Identify at least two exits to any room, and be aware of alternative exits to any building. Designate a meeting place outside with others, such as family members.

Chapter members joined in reciting the NFB pledge.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Arielle Silverman, Recording Secretary, NFB Potomac Chapter