[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Book Club October Meeting

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Fri Sep 17 15:44:18 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Sunday, September 12 we met to consider our book club choices.  Five persons participated in the Zoom meeting.

We will meet at 7:00 PM on the first Wednesday of each month beginning in October.  We did not discuss in person or Zoom meetings.  However, with the prevalence of the Delta virus I think we should meet by Zoom in October.  Finally we selected books through January.  We need to select some discussants on October 5.

October 5, 2021: Caste: the origins of our discontents DB100088<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100088>
Wilkerson, Isabel Reading time: 14 hours, 28 minutes.
Robin Miles

Social Sciences
Bestsellers

The Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Warmth of Other Suns (DB 71929) examines the unofficial castes and hierarchies she has observed as inherent in American society. She also discusses the eight pillars of all caste systems and offers ways for America to move forward. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller. 2020.

I am not sure of who suggested this.  It was either Carl or Me or it may be someone else.

November  3, 2021: The splendid and the vile: a saga of Churchill, family, and defiance during the Blitz DB100054<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100054>
Larson, Erik Reading time: 17 hours, 51 minutes.
Erik Larson

Bestsellers
World History and Affairs

The author of Dead Wake (DB 80936) describes Winston Churchill and London during the Blitz. He examines this dark year of London's history primarily through the domestic drama of Churchill and his family's day-to-day experiences. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller. 2020.

December 1, 2021: Anxious people DB100531<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100531>
Backman, Fredrik; Smith, Neil Reading time: 9 hours, 55 minutes.
Marin Ireland

Humor
General
Psychological Fiction

Looking at real estate isn't usually a life-or-death situation, but an apartment open house in a Swedish town becomes just that when a failed bank robber bursts in and takes an eclectic group of strangers hostage. Strong language and some violence. Commercial audiobook. 2020.

Karin

January 5, 2022: The evening and the morning DB100586<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB100586>

Follett, Ken. Reading time: 24 hours, 21 minutes.
Read by John Lee.

Religious Fiction
Suspense Fiction
Historical Fiction
Human Relations

England, 997. In the time of the Anglo-Saxon kings, Vikings rule the seas. A Norman noblewoman follows her new husband across the sea to her new home. A boat builder moves his family to safety, but doesn't fit in. And a monk dreams of a center of learning. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2020.

Need a volunteer to handle the discussion.