[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] Book Club Selections February- June 2022

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Tue Jan 18 20:35:52 UTC 2022

Hello,

I finally have time to send  out our book club titles for February-June.  I was writing notes fast and think I got it right.  If not, I am sure I will hear about it.

February 2: Nancy
Imbeciles: the Supreme Court, American Eugenics, and the Sterilization of Carrie Buck db84223.  By Adam Cohen.

March 2: Leroy
Devil in the grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the dawn of a new America DB77515
King, Gilbert Reading time: 16 hours, 41 minutes.
Bob Moore A production of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress.

Social Sciences
Legal Issues

Details the events that led to the Supreme Court's 1951 decision in Shepherd v. Florida, which overturned the convictions of three black men accused of raping a white teenager. Highlights the role played by NAACP attorney--and future Supreme Court justice--Thurgood Marshall. Violence and strong language. Pulitzer Prize. 2012.

April 6: John
Facing the mountain: a true story of Japanese American heroes in World War II DB103646
Brown, Daniel James Reading time: 17 hours, 42 minutes.
Louis Ozawa

Bestsellers
World History and Affairs

The author of The Boys in the Boat (DB 77138) highlights the contributions and sacrifices of Japanese Americans, particularly four families whose sons volunteered for the 442nd Regimental Combat Team. He discusses the dangers these soldiers faced as well as the difficulties and discrimination their families suffered back in America. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. Bestseller. 2021.

May 4: Patty
While justice sleeps: a novel DB103183
Abrams, Stacey Reading time: 14 hours, 57 minutes.
Adenrele Ojo Suspense Fiction
Mystery and Detective Stories
Legal Fiction

When legendary Supreme Court Justice Howard Wynn falls into a coma, his dedicated clerk Avery Keene is shocked to find he left instructions for her to serve as his guardian and power of attorney. She discovers Wynn had been researching a possible conspiracy, and she is now targeted. Unrated. Commercial audio book

June 1: Sandy
Birds in Fall: a novel DBC 13112
Kessler, Brad. Reading time 7 hours, 42 minutes.

Subjects: Human Relations; General; Psychological Fiction

Description: One fall night, an innkeeper on a remote island in Nova Scotia watches an airplane plummet to the sea. As the search for survivors envelops the island, the mourning families gather at the inn, waiting for news of those they have lost. Here among strangers, they form an unusual community, struggling for comfort and consolation. At the center of the story is Ana Gathreaux, an ornithologist who specializes in bird migration, and whose husband perished