[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] May 12 Meeting Minutes

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
Tue Jun 7 23:49:50 UTC 2022

Thank you to our Recording Secretary, Julie McGinnity.
National Federation of the Blind

Potomac Chapter

May 12, 2022

Meeting Minutes

President Christine Grassman called the meeting to order a little after 7:00 PM. There were five individuals present in person at St. George’s Episcopal Church, and all other attendees were present virtually on Zoom.

The meeting began with the approval of the minutes from April. Joanne Wilson moved, and John Halverson seconded to approve the minutes. The minutes were approved with no amendments.

Then the treasurer’s report was adopted. Gary Grassman moved, and Joanne Wilson seconded to approve the treasurer’s report. It was also approved with no amendments.

Rachel Schreiman gave the total earned through the pampered chef fundraiser. After the events raised a total of $1,600, the chapter made around $600.

Christine then reminded everyone to register for national convention, whether attending in person or virtually. The preregistration deadline is May 31st.

The first speaker on the agenda was Ferras Ghannam, a representative from Connect BBC, a transportation provider in the greater Washington DC area. He described the services his company offers including: trips anywhere in the DMV area; vehicles that accommodate individuals, small groups, and large groups; and booking online, over the phone, and by email. The website to access service is www.connectbbc.com <http://www.connectbbc.com/>. Ferras recommended that passengers book at least a day in advance but he indicated that it is possible to book a ride the same day of travel. In addition, he explained that the connect service provides transportation at a flat rate with no serge pricing.

The second speaker was Ancil Torres, president of the Torres foundation, who discussed advocating for improved paratransit services. He listed many of the problems blind and disabled people face when riding public transportation and paratransit. Then he sought support from our members to influence the operators of our local paratransit services. Ancil explained that those who run Metro Access do not listen to recommendations from disabled people and do not implement plans to cut down costs and improve access for all. He asked the chapter to look at his blog and join forces with him in his quest to clarify and decrease costs, improve safety, and make it easier to book the type of rides we want. There followed a discussion of summer social activities. The chapter decided to hold an ice cream social in August, for which members should consider making a donation or donating supplies. However, we need to find a location to hold the social. Christine asked the membership to locate a meeting space that would hold a large group at low cost.

The Presidential Release was played.

The meeting was adjourned around 8:30 PM. The next meeting will take place on Thursday, June 9th.

Respectfully Submitted,

Julie A. McGinnity