[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] **Important and Time-Sensitive: From Potomac Chapter Board Member LeRoy Hansen

Christine Grassman cfgrassman at icloud.com
Thu Feb 2 21:25:07 UTC 2023

Please see below an extremely important survey from Potomac Chapter Board Member LeRoy Hansen. If you follow the link directly below his message, you may fill out the survey on Google forms. This is preferred, since it will allow for easy tallying.
You may reach out to me or LeRoy if you wish us to fill out the form for you online.
Otherwise, send your responses via email to LeRoy, or give him a call. You will see below why it is vital to collect this information from those of us who live or spend significant time in Arlington.
Please note the deadline of February 12 (February 11, for those of you who are football fans).

Hello,

I'm LeRoy Hansen, a member of the blind and vision impaired community in Arlington County.

Currently,  Arlington is transitioning away from voice messaging at crosswalk signals (for example, walk sign is on to cross Glebe road) to a non-verbal signal -- such as an audible pulse (a tweet-tweet-tweet or cuckoo).

Arlington County is also eliminating the vocal countdown of the time remaining to cross the street. A county employee said the changes were being made with guidance from two blind individuals.

I would like to provide the county with input from a larger group of people that are blind or have impaired vision. To do that, it would be very helpful to have your responses to the following survey questions.

After collecting the responses, I will send summary statistics to everyone on this email and provide that information to the county as well. Please note that no names will be associated with responses.

Survey participants must have impaired vision and live in or spend a considerable portion of their outdoor time in Arlington county. If you believe I have not reached a person I should have included, please forward this message to them. A greater number of responses strengthen the message we have.

Please submit your responses by Sunday,  Feb  12.

If you have questions, please email me at leroy.t.hansen at gmail.com <mailto:leroy.t.hansen at gmail.com> or call 703 350 9174

Fill out the survey for easy tallying here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfWRAPQTHy3OI2X9jhMxMewUQqANKhtzNVG3ThFaRavKxFDqQ/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0

(1) Which crosswalk signal do you most prefer ?
 Walk sign is on to cross name of street.
 Walk sign is on.
 Non verbal signal

(2) Which crosswalk signal do you least prefer?
 Walk sign is on to cross name of street.
 Walk sign is on.
 Non verbal signal

(3) How often do you find the audible walk signal too low to hear?
 Never
 Occasionally
 Frequently

(4) How often do you find the audible walk signal too loud?
 Never
 Occasionally
 Frequently

(5) Do you want an audible countdown of the time remaining to cross a street?
 No
 Yes

(6) Have you found audible countdown volumes to be ...
 Too loud
 Too quiet
 About right

(7) Have you found it challenging to find the appropriate push button to activate a crosswalk signal?

 No
 Yes

Comments and suggestions