[NFBV-Potomac-Announce] February 2023 Book Club Meeting

John Halverson jwh100 at outlook.com
Mon Jan 30 16:13:24 UTC 2023

Hello Friends,

A reminder that at our January meeting we  decided to meet on Thursday February 2 (Groundhog Day) for our February book club meeting. The time is 7:00 PM and the book is the Spy and the Trader. Details below.

We are using our Virginia Zoom.

https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

 Telephone Dial: tel:6468769923
Meeting ID: 829 725 6345

One tap mobile
tel:+16468769923,,8297256345

John

Leeroy will run the discussion.

The Spy and the Traitor.
By: Ben MacIntyre. Narrated by: Ben Macintyre.
Length: 14 hrs and 32 mins.
2018
nonfiction

on a warm July evening in 1985, a middle-aged man stood on the pavement of a busy avenue in the heart of Moscow, holding a plastic carrier bag. In his grey suit and tie, he looked like any other Soviet citizen. The bag alone was mildly conspicuous, printed with the red logo of Safeway, the British supermarket.

from deep within the Soviet intelligence machine. No spy had done more to damage the KGB. The Safeway bag was a signal: to activate his escape plan to be smuggled out of Soviet Russia. So began one of the boldest and most extraordinary episodes in the history of spying. Ben Macintyre reveals a tale of espionage, betrayal and raw courage that changed the course of the Cold War forever..
discussion questions are available.