[NFBV-Winchester] Presidential notebook from Mark Riccovono

Chris Walker chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 19:24:17 UTC 2022

Chapter members and friends,
President Mark Riccovono puts out his notebook and I believe it gets sent to the state affiliate presidents. I saw this from another affiliate and thought I would share this great information.
President Mark Riccovono
This weeks notebook came out yesterday evening.

Dear Federation Family,

It feels so great to have our convention registration open for our in-person national convention in New Orleans. We have been waiting for this, and it is finally coming. Encourage participation in our first in-person convention since 2019.

We have a busy four months leading up to our convention. As you will find below, there is a lot to keep up on. The quickly changing trends with the coronavirus—in the right direction—give great hope for more in-person gatherings across the nation. Also, we are kicking off the spring convention season this weekend with Alabama. So much great energy around the Federation.

Keep up the great work on our legislative priorities. We have a good chance of moving forward with these bills this year.

News:
2022 National Convention Registration Is Open:
The 2022 National Federation of the Blind National Convention registration is now open until May 31, 2022. Registration is $25 per person. Banquet tickets for Sunday, July 10, are $70 per person. Please review our 2022 National Convention Safety Protocols and the National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct prior to registering. Register online now! Details regarding convention can be found at nfb.org/convention . Also, check out the latest Braille Monitor article, “New Orleans: Site of 2022 Convention” by John Berggren.

Access Technology Affordability Act:
Great news! Yesterday eight new cosponsors were added to the Access Technology Affordability Act in the House and one in the Senate. We are now up to 145 cosponsors on H.R. 431, and 36 cosponsors on S. 212. This is the largest number of cosponsors we have ever had on the Access Technology Affordability Act in both chambers of Congress. Let’s keep up the momentum!

Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium:
Registration is now open for the 2022 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium. Join nationally renowned disability rights advocates at the United States’ leading disability law symposium, held virtually this year March 24–March 25, 2022, as we examine the right of people with disabilities to live in in a world of pandemics, political polarization, and natural disasters. Registration is $100, and student registration is $25. Visit the law symposium webpage for additional information about the symposium.

Scholarship Program Deadline Approaching in March:
The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind college students reach their educational and employment goals and so much more. Building on its strong foundation, we are enhancing the awards granted and making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful for the thirty finalists. Each scholarship winner will receive $8,000. Encourage students to apply for the 2022 scholarship program. The deadline is March 31.

Apply for 2022 Bolotin Awards:
The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for the 2022 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards.

March Braille Monitor Available:
The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship publication is now available. Read about the site of the 2022 National Convention, technology and ableism, immersion training, the purpose of discussion in the publication, and many stories from members. Access the Braille Monitor now.

Career Opportunities:
The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals to join our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of interest including Braille production; diversity, equity, and inclusion; digital communications; fiscal services; and membership. We encourage candidates seeking to join our movement to submit a general interest cover letter and résumé to us expressing the types of positions being sought. Learn more and share the opportunities: https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities

Attend 2022 NFB BELL® Academy: Applications Now Open!:
We are offering in-person and in-home opportunities! Our in-person programs across the nation and our NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition will help prepare blind and low-vision children to grow into confident and independent blind people.

The current in-person program cities include Littleton, Colorado; Rathdrum, Idaho; Chicago, Illinois; Springfield, Illinois; Ruston, Louisiana; St. Louis, Missouri; Kansas City, Missouri; Perth Amboy, New Jersey; Phoenix, Arizona; Tucson, Arizona; and Baltimore, Maryland. More in-person programs coming soon!

The NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition program will take place July 18-August 5, 2022. Students and families will receive Braille and other fun materials for lessons, connect with experienced teachers, and build relationships with other blind students and mentors. Please pass this link along to those that would like to apply: https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy .

Dates to Keep in Mind:
(all times eastern)

March 10: Deadline to register for the Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
April 15: Deadline for the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award nominations
July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

National Federation of the Blind

                         Facebook    Twitter    Youtube

Dorothy Griffin - President
National Federation of the Blind of Georgia
dgriffin at nfbga.org
770-374-4832

Chris Walker
President, Winchester Chapter
540.303.0080
chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
www.nfb.org
www.nFBV.org
Find and like us on Facebook National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Winchester Chapter
Follow us on Twitter NFBV Winchester Chapter
Blindness does not hold us back. Living the life you want means going after your dreams and shattering low expectations