[nfbwatlk] Student Division

Andrea Travis andrea.travis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 22:07:10 UTC 2008

Hello Everyone,

The first meeting of the NFB of Washington Student Division took place at
the fall 2007 Convention in Vancouver. Dr. Maurer was our National
Representative and Arielle Silverman from Arizona served as National
Association of Blind Students Representative.

It was a great convention and we had quite a few students in attendance
including our two scholarship winners. Unfortunately, the founding meeting
was held on Friday and not all students had arrived by then. Mike Mello and
I suggested that the meeting be postponed because there weren't enough
students present to form a division. We've learned from past experience in
Idaho when we began a student division, just how much work it can be,
especially to a college student! There was much discussion of this and other
points and Mike Freeman, Dr. Maurer and Arielle Silverman provided some
excellent insight and sparking comments for debate. Majority voted to go
ahead and adopt a constitution and elect the standard four officers for a
division and they were: Jennifer Moerke, President, Jacob Struiksma, Vice
President, Lisa Owen, Secretary and myself, Andrea Travis, as Treasurer. I
am not a student and wasn't at the time. The majority of officers and
members must be students, but ANYONE is welcome to join! One more thing, the
Division President must be a full time student.

I decided to serve as Treasurer, to lend my support and experience to the
division and work with Jen, Lisa and Jacob to establish the base for a
division that would continue to grow. Elections are held annually, because
students seem to graduate every once in a while! So, I committed to one year
of serious attention to the student division. I'm not sure what happened for
the students at this year's convention since I had to work that weekend and
I'm sure not going to try to speak to or for anyone else about their
dedication and commitment.

As Gary and Kay pointed out, there is always loads of work to be done and we
all volunteer as much as possible while dealing with the rest of life!

Anyway, over the past year, I've been compiling a list of contacts,
fundraising and even helped put together a couple events including a Seattle
Chapter sponsored Student Pizza Party. I spoke to Gary Mackenstadt and we
agreed that the affiliate treasury would hold the divisions' membership
funds, all $30 of it, for the students to use as needed. I chose not to open
a bank account when there isn't enough money to fuss with! Once more funds
were raised; the current treasurer could decide what to do!

Although, I am not interested in being a Student Division officer, they have
my complete support and I will still help whenever and however I can! I know
most of you feel the same! The easiest thing we can do to support the
students is, continue to recruit members, all members! Be involved and set a
good example! Talk to people and share the NFB philosophy!

Andrea