[nfbwatlk] Fw: November 2008 Issue of "footprints": Priorities for Pedestrians

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:34:44 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Feet First
To: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 7:10 PM
Subject: November 2008 Issue of "footprints": Priorities for Pedestrians

            Issue #28, November 2008

            A monthly e-newsletter, brought to you by:
            Feet First: Building Walkable Communities

            Dear Friend of Feet First,

            We are living in momentous times. With external forces such as fluctuating gas prices, climate change, an epidemic of physical inactivity, and rising infrastructure costs, Feet First’s mission is more critical than ever.

            Feet First is a voice for shifting the transportation paradigm—recapturing public space from cars and returning it to people. When we put feet first and “build walkable communities” (our motto), we’re taking a stand for creating a healthy planet, healthy neighborhoods, and healthy people.

            We invite you to engage in the conversation about walkable and livable communities by reading the "footprints" e-newsletter and taking action--by donating, contacting decision-makers, volunteering, or another way of supporting our work.

            Thank you for taking part in this important dialogue,
            Lisa Quinn
            Executive Director

            P.S. Please save Friday, December 12 to join us in celebrating our new location in Pioneer Square. More details below.

            your footprint

            We've heard from a lot of people with opinions on what should come first in funding priorities. Now we want to hear from you. Please follow this link to a one-question online survey. You'll be entered in a drawing for a Feet First umbrella, just perfect for fall in the Northwest.

            Take the online survey now.

            your help needed
            City of Seattle Proposed 2009/10 Budget:
            Email or Call City Council by Tuesday, November 11th
            Walkable communities are an important part of curbing climate change and reducing the number of cars on the road. As the City of Seattle prepares to finalize its 2009/2010 budget, help support Feet First’s efforts to ensure that walking receives crucial funding. We support money in this year’s budget to be designated for additional sidewalks, the adult crossing guard program and other necessary infrastructure. Take Action Here.

            Read more:
            Feet First's take on the $43 Million of Mercer Street Project funding
            Check out our list of priority Sidewalks in Seattle
            The plan to make Seattle “The most walkable city in the nation”

            tools of the trade

            Community Mapping Kit: Healthy Eating and Active Living
            As part of a pilot project, Feet First helps King County schools, parents, and community members make a map and increase health and activity. Read more and use the Community Mapping Kit online.

            Read more:
            NEST Project (Northeast Seattle Trails Project) kicks off this fall
            Our Safe Routes to School Program's Pedestrian Safety Training
            Our newest "Neighborhoods on Foot" Map: the Central District

            mark your calendar

            Join Feet First at our new office!
            Join us at an open house to celebrate our new office space in Pioneer Square and to view the final projects of a University of Washington Landscape Architecture studio project focusing on alleyways. Enjoy wine and appetizers and take part in a drawing for free hotel stay at Coast Hotels and Resorts.
            When: Friday, December 12th, 5pm-7pm
            Where: 314 1st Avenue South (Pioneer Square) Seattle
            RSVP: to info at feetfirst.info.

            Other events:
            Safe Routes to School State Summit
            Want to know how to get kids walking to school? The second annual State Summit for Safe Routes to School held in Spokane, WA will give you the tools you need to get started. Read more about the Summit.

            get involved

            Donate!
            We need your support! Support walkable communities and Donate Now.

            Volunteer!
            If we do say so ourselves, Feet First has the most interesting set of volunteering opportunities around. They range from basic administrative work to high-level computing (know GIS, anyone?).
            If you don’t see something that quite fits you, share your interest and there just might be something available. View our volunteer opportunities today.