[nfbwatlk] End of my cell phone decision-making trauma or saga

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Thu Nov 20 19:47:12 UTC 2008

NFB of Washington listers:

Thank you for all the information you quickly regurgitated about accessible cell phones.  Collectively, we have a lot of information among us!

This process to me was like going to a restaurant with a very long menu  with too many options.

I received some excellent advice not to pursue the screenless cell phone.   After looking at the website and seeing that it has not been updated in  while, after learning that the phone is out of stock, and after hearing from a couple sources about poor support, I discarded that as an option.

I then contacted T-Mobile, my carrier, to learn what accessible cell phones they have available.  Of course, I got the deer in the headlights responses.

I finally settled on going with a new plan with AT&T Wireless.  I purchased the PanTech Duo cell phone , a $450 phone that will cost me $80 after the rebate and after committing to two years of service.  I am purchasing Mobile Speak for $90, which the AT&T people are going to install on my phone before it gets to me.  My plan will cost $40 a month for 450 minutes that will roll over and 5000 nights  and weekend minutes.

The PanTech Duo has a regular phone pad and a Qwerty keyboard that slides out.  While one of our number told me that he thinks the phone is for 19 year old girls, I settled on it because it was the cheapest of the phones AT&T offers that works with Mobile Speak and because I like the idea of having a regular phone pad.

In order to get the cheapest prices, I had to go on-line at www.wireless.att.com and buy the phone and plan.  Then, I call the AT&T Disability number at 866-241-6568 to buy the Mobile Speak and make arrangements for free directory assistance.

It feels good to have finally made a decision.  Thanks for all of your help.

I will let you know when I get the phone how it goes in actuality.

Noel