[nfbwatlk] Brain building games in audio

Kay Burrows theladykathryn4one at juno.com
Fri Nov 21 21:08:47 UTC 2008

The idea of such games sounds like a great idea for any one with print
difficulties, which means that just saying "learn Braille", is not the best
or the only answer.  Certainly learning Braille would be a challenge and is
a mental work out for those of us that are older.  But it takes time to gain
the skill, speed, accuracy, and self-confidence that grade II requires.
Learning Braille is an excellent response, but not suitable to all and
perhaps in the mother's case It may or may not be very practical or useful.
It is my belief that she should be able to have some fun along the way to
the goal of learning Braille. Audio games could be quite portable unlike a
Braille book and a slate, stylus and Braille paper.

I must say that I was excited about the concept of audio games, but Mike
Sivill's comment has brought me up short and reminded me that I have a great
puzzle and mental work out here at home.  I should be working my Braille as
part of my mental exercise program instead of waiting for a better time to

KB