[nfbwatlk] why we need to be there

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Apr 6 00:24:09 UTC 2009

Mary Ellen,

You're a ton stronger than I am. I don't what I would have said if
someone told me I was classified as a visually impaired person who
presented well. I was shocked when I read it, and I felt my facial
expression sour. Isn't it interesting how juxtiposed people's views of
blindness are?

I'm teaching a class this quarter called "straight talk about
Blindness." One of the assignments I've set my students is a homework
set, or a set of three thought-provokers. One of the questions on this
assignment is: why is it that blindness is so ambiguous? Why is it that
we're both amazing yet helpless, intelligent yet ignorant, and virtuous
yet sinful all in the same person and moment in time? Realistically
speaking, a person can logically be all of these traits at once, but
surely not as a direct result of being blind. What do all of you think?
Why is blindness so ambiguous to the point where we call to mind such
opposite traits all at once just because we can't see? If it's okay
with all of you, i'd like to collect your responses and share them with
my class. Of course, no names will be mentioned or tied to your responses.