[nfbwatlk] Update

Nfbnorthwest at aol.com Nfbnorthwest at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 02:30:29 UTC 2009

Hello:

I am taking a 3 day break from the OTC and spending time with Ron and the
baby birds. It's nice to be home. I return for a two week break on March 9.

How is it going:

Braille:

I am starting on Grade 2 braille next week. Reading is great! Writing with
the slate and sylise I need to keep working on it but it is getting better. Joy
 is a great teacher. I have to slow down my reader for the other two students
who  are reading at a much slower pace then me. The book we are using takes a
fast  approach to braille and it is advanced. I really enjoy the class.

Computers:

I am being trained on the braille note the KNFB reader and I am learning
excel. Jim is a wonderful teacher. He has a great sense of humor. I have been
asked to be a peer tutor for other students in regards to MS word and Windows. I
 hope I can help other struggling students.

Home Ec:

I am doing pretty good in this class; but I burned my hand last week when I
accidentally touched the stove burner; good reflexes saved me from getting
seriously burned. I thought Quill was going to have a heart attack. That's life
under sleep shades. I will complete this course March 4.

O&M:

This is the struggle. It is coming very slowly. I must be patient. My  O&M
instructor is an Intern from Texas. She is nice but very strict. I tease  her
and think of her as my drill sargent; just like the Army. I hope to have  much
more O&M time next term. I am getting the cane techniques down but it  is slow
work and I am still in the building.

The other classes are good and I love dependable strengths. The only things
that really bother me is the outside drama (mainly with some of the other
students); it can be a very stressful progam to go through and it is not easy to
be away from Ron for 6-10 weeks at a time. I still can't cook in my apartment
 nor walk on my own to the center.A lot of things have changed since my first
 training program in 1989-1990. However, all in all the program is a good one
and  I am glad that they really make you wear the sleep shades. I think I am
handling  the stress a lot better now then when I first started last month.
It's a work in  progress.

Please keep me in your prayers. I am really glad I am in the program! It  may
not be in LA or CO but it is still a very good program and I am learning a
great deal. What a blessing!

Lisa A. Owen
NFB & CFB
steps!