[nfbwatlk] FW: Sound Transit CEO Report

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 07:55:08 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Sound Transit [mailto:soundtransit at govdelivery.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 2:51 PM
To: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Subject: Sound Transit CEO Report

  <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/ST-logohorizBLUE.gif>

 Wave <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/CEO-header.jpg>

CEO Report

  <http://www.soundtransit.org/images/about/Earl_head.jpg>

>From Joni Earl

Jan. 23, 2009

In this edition

*
Visiting with state legislators

*
Union Station becomes accessible voting center

*
American Public Transportation Association CEO Seminar next week

*
Mandarin and Spanish added to ticket vending machines

*
Photo of the Week

*
Tukwila Station Open House

*
Sound Transit Finance Committee action Thursday

Visiting with state legislators

The State Legislature recently went into session and on Wednesday, I met
with a few legislators for updates on Sound Transit and to talk about our
legislative agenda, which includes asking the Legislature to advance the
state's share of funding for the I-90 Two-Way Transit and HOV project.  The
I-90 project will increase both transit and HOV capacity across Lake
Washington, while preserving the existing number of general purpose lanes.
It also sets the stage for the light rail connection between Seattle,
Bellevue, and Redmond - a key component of the Sound Transit 2 plan approved
by voters last fall. Our conversations also focused on the importance of the
investment and the fact that the state is facing significant budget
pressures.

These are challenging times for everyone, but I'm optimistic about our
collective ability to keep the region moving.

I also talked with legislators about revisions we are seeking, along with
the Washington State Transit Association, to the unlawful bus conduct code.

Union Station becomes accessible voting center

I'm very pleased to report that the King County Council recently named Sound
Transit headquarters at Union Station as an accessible voting center, one of
only three in King County.

Accessible voting centers are non-precinct based locations that provide
voters that have disabilities with the opportunity to vote in person. The
centers have audio and visual equipment that allows voters with limited
vision and physical disabilities to vote privately and independently. The
centers also have ballot drop boxes available for anyone to use.

The accessibility centers will be open in advance of the Feb. 3 King County
special election that includes candidates for King County Director of
Elections.

The accessible voting centers locations and hours of operation are:

Seattle
Union Station, Ruth Fisher Boardroom, 401 S. Jackson St., Seattle
Jan. 30, Jan. 31, Feb. 2, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Feb. 3, 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Bellevue
Bellevue City Hall, 450 110th Ave NE, Room 121, Bellevue, 98009
Jan. 30, Jan. 31, Feb. 2, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Feb. 3, 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Renton
King  <http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections/aboutus/directions.aspx> County
Elections, 919 SW Grady Way, 98057
Weekdays, Jan. 14 - Feb. 2, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Jan. 31, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Feb. 3, 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.

More information is available at

http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections/voting/accessible.aspx.

APTA CEO Seminar next week

On Monday and Tuesday of next week I'll be in Santa Monica, Calif. attending
the American Public Transportation Association 2009 CEO Seminar.

The seminar this year includes discussions on trends in labor relations,
technology, organizational restructuring, federal stimulus and making
decisions in uncertain times.

At the seminar I'll present the highlights of last November's successful
Sound Transit 2 election, along with updates on the work we've already
completed and the major mass transit expansion on the horizon.

In past years, the seminar has been a valuable opportunity to meet with
leaders of transit agencies across the nation to discuss common issues and
solutions and to hear different perspectives.

Mandarin and Spanish added to ticket vending machines

Earlier this week, professional recording artists speaking in their native
Spanish and Mandarin made studio recordings that will be included in Sound
Transit's ticket vending machines. Those languages, including English, will
be in ticket vending machines used by Sounder commuter rail and Link light
rail passengers.

Spanish and Mandarin/Traditional Chinese are the two prevalent non-English
languages in the region.

The ticket machines will be in use when Link light rail trains begin
carrying passengers in July.

The artists this week recorded 322 individual phrases, such as "Please
remove ORCA card and collect ticket(s) below" and "Your ticket and receipt
are being printed."

Photo of the Week

Our photo this week shows a professional recording artist recording Mandarin
phrases for use in Sound Transit's ticket vending machines.

 <http://www.soundtransit.org/newsroom/photo/>
http://www.soundtransit.org/newsroom/photo/.

Tukwila Station Open House

Sound Transit is moving forward with plans to replace the existing temporary
Sounder Tukwila Station with a permanent station. As part of the
environmental review process, an Environmental Assessment (EA) that
evaluates the potential environmental impacts and mitigation measures for
the proposed improvements is being issued.

At an open house on Thursday, residents can learn more about the permanent
Tukwila Station and provide comments on the EA. Formal comments on the EA
will be accepted until Feb. 15.

The open house is Thursday, Jan. 29 from 4 - 7 p.m. in the Embassy Suites
Santa Anita Conference Room, 15920 West Valley Highway, Tukwila.

The Tukwila Station will include passenger platforms and shelters, security
and safety features, accessible access, approximately 350 parking spaces,
landscaping, bike storage and public art.

The Sound Transit Finance Committee on Thursday:

*	Approved a contract with Dell, Inc. for technology hardware
purchases and hardware maintenance services for a total authorized  amount
not to exceed $800,000.

*	Approved a contract amendment with O'Bunco Engineering to provide
on-call ADA engineering services for accessible services in the amount of
$25,000 for a new total authorized  amount not to exceed $225,000.

*	Approved a contract amendment with Lamoreaux McLendon to provide
project management services for the Remote Infrared Audible Signs project in
the amount of $56,400, with a 10 percent contingency of $5,640 totaling
$62,040, for a new total authorized  amount not to exceed $255,870.

 Union Station image
<http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/UnionStationLeftImage.gif>

You can update or cancel your subscription at any time by clicking here
<https://service.govdelivery.com/service/user.html?code=WASOUND> . If you
have any questions please contact support at govdelivery.com .
All content on the Sound Transit Web site, including but not limited to
text, graphics, video, logos, button icons, databases and images, is the
property of Sound Transit or its content suppliers and is protected by
copyright laws. Please visit our Web site for information about Copyright
Information and our  <http://www.soundtransit.org/x2560.xml> Privacy Policy.

GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of Sound Transit . 401 South Jackson St
 Seattle WA 98104 . 206-398-5000