[nfbwatlk] Kelowna fire news

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Sun Jul 19 19:16:28 UTC 2009

You may have heard on the news that Kelowna is facing another serious
wildfire. As you may remember, in 2003 nearly 240 homes were destroyed and
more than thirty thousand people were evacuated.
There are currently three fires burning across the lake from us. Seventeen
thousand people have been evacuated and some homes destroyed, though no one
can get close enough to the area to determine exactly how many. (Estimates
range between three and fifteen.)
I'm telling you all this primarily to let you know that we're in absolutely
no danger from these fires. The main effect on those living on the east side
of the lake is a lot of smoke. The air smells like a giant camp fire.
We've had calls from relatives in Quebec and New York wondering if we're all
right, so apparently the news of the fires is spreading rapidly. We wanted
you all to know that the Kelowna area is quite large and the evacuations are
very far from the Gabias family and from Cheryl McNab. Ken and Bev Westlake
have moved to Penticton, so they're even farther from danger.

Mary Ellen