[nfbwatlk] NFB-NEWSLINE 2009 National Convention Schedule of Events

West, Renee RWest at nfb.org
Sun Jun 21 01:09:59 UTC 2009

  Opportunities to learn about NFB-NEWSLINE® Online’s revolutionary new
features available during NFB’s National Convention in Detroit Michigan

NFB-NEWSLINE® is looking towards the future with
new initiatives that make use of modern-age
assistive technology and devices.  We have four
new initiatives, NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket,
Web News on Demand, Podable News, and KeyStream,
and we want to share information about our new
initiatives with national convention
attendees.  To that end we have arranged for a
suite to allow for hands-on demonstrations of our
new features in addition to two tables in our
exhibit hall.  Our suite will feature four
computer stations so that you can gain a better
understanding of, and first-hand experience with,
our new initiatives.  We will have several
open-house events in our suite to accommodate the
time constraints of convention attendees, so
please look through the NFB-NEWSLINE® schedule
below to see which open-house sessions are a best
fit with your own schedule.  You may feel free to
drop in during any of the open-house sessions.

For those of you unfamiliar with our new
initiatives, here’s a brief description of each
to whet your appetite before you come visit us in
our suite to fill up on these goodies:

Web News on Demand

Web News on Demand provides all of the features
that subscribers enjoy with the traditional,
phone-based service, including access to all of
their favorite publications, the TV listings, and
the Local Information Channel content.  With Web
News on Demand subscribers can, for the first
time ever, visit a secure, text-only Web site
that offers the distinctive ability to view the
entirety of any publication offered on the
service.  Further, this ability affords a
uniquely enhanced search capability as a reader
can search for a term throughout the
publication’s content.  A subscriber using Web
News on Demand is able to send a full newspaper,
a section of a newspaper, or a single article to
his or her e-mail inbox, allowing for unrivaled
and immediate access to a breaking news story.

NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket

With NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, we've
increased the flexibility and functionality of
NFB-NEWSLINE® so that our subscribers can more
easily and quickly get their news through a
digital talking book player (such as the Victor
Reader Stream, Icon, or Braille+).  NFB-NEWSLINE®
In Your Pocket is a dynamic software application
that a subscriber installs on his or her computer
that, through an Internet connection,
automatically downloads the publications of the
subscriber’s choice to his or her portable
digital talking book player (such as the Victor
Reader Stream, the Icon, or the
Braille+).  Through this revolutionary initiative
subscribers can gain easy and immediate access to
their favorite publications and enjoy the reading
experience that is offered with a DAISY-reading device.

Podable News
Podable News provides publication content in an
audio format so that subscribers can use an Ipod
or other MP3-playing device to access their
favorite newspapers and magazines.  Also, with
Podable News, you now have the ability to create
your own "paper."  If you like to read USA
Today's sports coverage, but prefer the Wall
Street Journal's technology reporting, and you
never miss The New Yorker's Shouts and Murmurs
column, you'll really appreciate NFB-NEWSLINE®'s
innovative functionality using your MP3-playing device.

KeyStream
This initiative streams NFB-NEWSLINE® publication
content over the Internet, allowing for the same
usability and flexibility as the traditional,
phone-based service, but is accessed with your
computer.  KeyStream is quite easy to use, even
for those with very little computer experience.

Friday, July 3:

9:00am - 11:00am At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

11:30am - 1:30pm Affiliate President’s Gathering:
Presentation, Demonstration, Affiliate
outreach.  Affiliate presidents, give your
members the good news about NFB-NEWSLINE®!  In
this session we'll give you an opportunity to
experience our new initiatives for yourself, and
we'll also explore ways in which you and your
members can share information about the service
in your own communities.  Room 6401

2:00pm - 6:00pm At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

6:30pm - 8:00pm Walk-in NFB-NEWSLINE®
informational exhibit for parents of blind
children, as well as their children.  Please join
us with your child(ren) for an opportunity to
become familiar with the NFB-NEWSLINE® service
and its new features.  Besides getting some
hands-on experience, you'll also learn how having
access to the news can help your child in his or
her schoolwork and provide the foundation for a
successful adult life.  Best suited for ages 10 and up.  Room 6401

8:30pm - 10:00pm At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

Saturday, July 4:

1:00 - 3:00 What’s New with
NFB-NEWSLINE®?  Presentational Seminar: Come and
learn about NFB-NEWSLINE®, the world’s largest
audible newspaper service for the blind and
visually impaired.  Topics covered will include
information on our newest online initiatives and
improvements to the service.  Mackinac West Ballroom, Level 5

3:30pm - 6:00pm At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

6:30pm - 8:00pm Gathering for professionals in
the field of work with the blind.  Are you a
teacher of blind students?  Are you involved in
the rehabilitation field, or do you work for an
agency or organization that serves the blind?  If
so, please come and join us for an evening of
presentations and possibilities.  You can get
hands-on experience with our new initiatives and
explore how they can serve to assist a blind
child achieve educational success as well as
provide content for an adult’s rehabilitation process.  Room 6401

8:30pm - 10:00pm At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

Sunday, July 5:

8:00am - 11:00 At any time during this open-house
session, please stop by and learn about
NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on Demand,
and our other revolutionary new features!  We
have four computer stations with Internet
connections where you can get personal, hands-on
experience with our new features.  Room 6401

1:30pm - 5:30pm At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

6:00pm -7:00pm Promotion, Evaluation, and
Advancement of Technology Committee
Gathering.  This session is for anyone working
with, has an interest in, or teaches assistive
technology.  We will provide an opportunity to
gain hands-on experience with NFB-NEWSLINE®’s new
initiatives and discuss ways to promote the
service to your colleagues and clients.  Room 6401

8:30pm – 10:00pm At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

Monday, July 6:

  6:30pm until 10:00pm At any time during this
open-house session, please stop by and learn
about NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on
Demand, and our other revolutionary new
features!  We have four computer stations with
Internet connections where you can get personal,
hands-on experience with our new features.  Room 6401

Tuesday, July 7: