[nfbwatlk] Fw: Thank you for making Transportation Advocacy Day a Success!

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:47:39 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Austin
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:19 AM
Subject: Thank you for making Transportation Advocacy Day a Success!

Dear Transportation Advocacy Day Attendees,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules last Tuesday to spend the time with in Olympia for Transportation Advocacy Day.  Because of your enthusiastic participation, the event was a big success.

Thanks to your help we continue to have success on our transportation priorities.  Here's the update on the status of our Transportation Advocacy Day Priorities.

Transit Oriented Communities (HB 1490/SB 5687):  Both bills have passed out of the Senate and House fiscal committees and now is in rules on its way to a floor vote.  We are optimistic that TOC will continue to move forward in the legislative process and pass off the House floor before next Friday's cut-off.  Thank you for advocating for TOC and your help in keeping this important piece of legislation moving forward.

Sustainable Funding Sources for Transportation Choices: We continue to work with legislators on finding sustainable funding sources for Transportation Choices.  The most immediate crisis is local transit agency funding due to declining sales tax revenues.  Your presence in Olympia was important in raising the awareness on this crucial issue.

Safety for All: The bicycle signal detection bill (HB 1403) has made it out of committee and is currently in the House Rules Committee ready to go to the Floor.  Also House Bill 1491 that requires motorists to give three feet when passing bicyclists and pedestrians is also in the House Rules Committee awaiting Floor action.

Safe Routes to School: Many of you watched the public hearing on the Safe Routes to Schools and signed in to support the bill.  It was great to have the hearing room packed full with so many supporters on the day it was being heard.  Safe Routes to Schools passed out of House Transportation last week and also waits to go to the floor in the next couple of days.

All in all our priority issues are doing very well in the legislative session.  Your voice as constituent advocates on these important transportation issues is invaluable.  Thank you again for attending last week, your engagement is important to our success. Please let us know if you have any follow up questions or suggestions.

If you would like to stay engaged in these and other transportation issues, let us know so we can keep you updated.  We look forward to seeing you next year!

Sincerely,

Staff and Organizers from:

All Aboard Washington

Bike Alliance of Washington

Cascade Bike Club

Environment Washington

Feet First

Futurewise

Sierra Club

Transportation Choices Coalition

Uptown Alliance

Washington Coalition for Promoting Physical Activity

Washington Environmental Council

Washington Health Foundation

WashPIRG