[nfbwatlk] The Blindness Movie

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat May 2 03:47:50 UTC 2009

Lisa,

I whole-heartedly agree with Bob. We certainly don't have to rehash the
validity of the NFB protest except as a matter of philosophical
history. but I certainly think that discussing public attitudes on
blindness is extremely important. These discussions might seem like old
news to those of us who have been around a while, but these discussions
also might provide support to newcomers, reminders to old timers, and
maybe even solidify NFB philosophy in the minds of those who are
interested in learning more about our attitude on blindness and
strengthening their own personal attitude. This is just my opinion
only, but if we're willing to discuss baseball, we should definitely
make room for those who want to discuss blindness philosophy. It seems
to me that an academic review of "Blindness" might actually be halpful.
I have show the movie in the course I'm teaching and got some
interesting results. I know my sighted students learned a lot about
public attitudes from having watched the film and through good
discussion. Therefore, I'm very interested in any questions that may
arise from Lisa's discussion of the film. Again, just my opinion.